This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.445 / 51°26'42"N
Longitude: -0.3036 / 0°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 517987
OS Northings: 173146
OS Grid: TQ179731
Mapcode National: GBR 81.L51
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.PYB4
Entry Name: Ham House Gatehouse and Attached and Associated Gatepiers
Listing Date: 7 August 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488039
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW10
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Ham, Petersham and Richmond Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Petersham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ1773 PETERSHAM ROAD
22/21/10129 155 AND 155A
07-AUG-01 Ham House Gatehouse and attached and
Gatehouse to Ham House and attached and associated gatepiers. Dated 1900 designed by R D Oliver for the Dysart Family. Jacobean manner. Red brick in English bond, stone dressings, tile roof. Symmetrical on two storeys, three bays with central archway rising through two storeys. Deep moulded stone plinth; flush stone quoins overlaid at the angles by continuous moulded cornices and storey bands; stone parapet mouldings and balustrades. Stone arch with strapwork spandrels and two orders of raised panels, panelled frieze and enriched cornice. Flanking two storey canted bays, at each storey five -light stone mullioned window each with iron casements with rectangular leaded panes. Iron window stays. Moulded storey band forming cornice at each level. Stone parapet, alternating balustrades and shafts, those at the angles surmounted by finials. Central shaped gable in stone, carrying large coat of arms to the Dysart family and dated MCM, and flanked by parapet finials. The rear is similar but simpler. Central archway rising through two storeys; moulded arch with scroll keystone and strapwork spandrels, plain frieze and cornice. Raised panelled linings to arch. To left and right, to each storey, three-light stone mullioned casements with rectangular leaded panes in iron frames, iron window stays. Moulded storey bands forming cornice at each level. Shaped gable in brick with stone copings surmounted by a finial, flanked by finials set on stone shafts rising from cornice; central two-light casement with rectangular leaded panes. Similar shafts and finials at the angles. Returns each with shaped gable with stone copings, surmounted by triple brick stacks set diagonally on chamfered stone bases and with deep moulded stone caps. Continuous moulded storey bands; added small single storey flat roofed extension to each return is not of special interest. To north, stretch of stock brick walling with chamfered copings attaching gate pier to gatehouse. To south, link is hidden under ivy.
Central flat roofed passage with moulded stone cornice. Pair of opposing doors each in moulded stone doorcase, with shallow four centred arch on pair of moulded shafts; tall raised panelled frieze and moulded cornice. Doors with studded and moulded stiles and muntins.
Pair of gatepiers to north and south, the inner gatepier attached to the house. Pier attached to house presumed to be c 1900, that to north appears earlier. Those to south too hidden to describe. Alternating red brick and stone bands, the stone bands treated as banded rustication. Moulded stone plinths and deep cornices. Outer face of each pier to north has offset shaft also in red brick and stone, capped with an inverted scroll.
B,Cherry and N.Pevsner, London 2: South, 1983, p. 516.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings