History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

183-203, Vauxhall Bridge Road

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, Greater London Authority

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4931 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -0.1391 / 0°8'20"W

OS Eastings: 529286

OS Northings: 178769

OS Grid: TQ292787

Mapcode National: GBR DL.YY

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JQVR

Plus Code: 9C3XFVV6+69

Entry Name: 183-203, Vauxhall Bridge Road

Listing Date: 29 November 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488209

Location: Westminster, London, SW1V

County: Greater London Authority

Electoral Ward/Division: Warwick

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Gabriel Warwick Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Description


1900/0/10263 VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD
29-NOV-01 183-203

II

Row of eleven terraced houses, originally called Belvoir Terrace. C. 1827.
MATERIALS: yellow stock brick (only 183,185,189 and 191 now unpainted), some with gauged arches of red brick; stone steps, cills and parapet copings; slate roofs with mansards to the rear and brick chimneystacks between each property.
EXTERIOR: two storeys with basements; some with attics. Two window-wide fronts. Front areas with railings, with urn and spearhead finials, to Nos 185 (partial), 187-193, 197-199. No 183 retains c.1930 shop front, inscribed FREDk E GILLETT ltd in tiles, with painted tiles below window depicting two house building scenes (joiners and decorators at work; a new half-timbered house in a Metroland setting). Nos 193, 201 and 203 have later shop fronts to ground floor, that of 201 is Victorian with scrolled consoles flanking the fascia board; that of 197 has a modern roller blind inserted. Nos 185-191 retain cavetto-moulded door surrounds with semi-circular lights above. Ground floor arched windows now concealed: some contained Regency Gothic glazing bars with margin lights. Other windows mainly 6/6-pane sashes; some have been replaced with mid C19 sashes with verticals only, late C19 sashes without glazing bars and a few C20 casements in original openings. Nos 185-191 and 195 have arcaded fronts at first floor level (No 193 almost certainly had them originally too). Nos 187-191 break forward and have a continuous cill band at second floor level, with a heightened parapet: these would have formed the centrepiece of the original Belvoir Terrace, which originally extended further to the south. Nos 193 and 195 have original cast iron balconies to the first floor and retain marginally-glazed first floor French windows. Rear elevations have mansard roofs, some retaining original 6-pane windows to attic and some original 6/6-pane sashes below.
INTERIORS: two rooms per floor, with narrow staircases on the south party wall. Internal features, where remaining, show consistency of design and construction throughout the row. Original plasterwork and joinery includes the following features:
No 183 retains original staircase missing stick balusters, reeded cornice to first floor and alcove cupboard.
No 185 is internally the best preserved. It retains reeded cornice to hall, round-headed arch and door architraves, staircase with column newel but missing some stick balusters. Ground floor front room has reeded cornice and wooden fireplace. First floor has similar reeded cornice, and in situ vertical shutters to front windows. Second floor has original wooden fireplace with pilasters, fire-grate and cupboards.
No 187 has hall with reeded cornice, moulded dado rail, plank panelling to dado height and round-headed arch with leaf moulding. Staircase survives with column newels and most of stick balusters. Original architraves to doors. Ground floor has corner cupboard to rear room. First floor has reeded cornice to front room. Second floor retains two cupboards.
No 189 retains original staircase, reeded cornices to ground floor and first floor and original wooden fireplace and cupboard to second floor.
No 191 has hall with reeded cornice and round-headed arch with brackets; staircase recently removed but retains a framed partition to the full-height of the building. Original architraves to doors. Ground floor rear room retains two wooden cupboards. First floor front room has a wooden reeded fireplace with paterae and two low level cupboards, reeded cornice. Second floor retains two cupboards to front room and the rear room has a simple wooden fireplace and cupboard retaining door.
No 193 is sub-divided but retains hall with reeded cornice, round-headed arch with leaf brackets, dado rail and staircase with column newel and stick balusters. First floor retains two round-headed alcoves.
No 195 now united with 197 and much altered internally, having been adapted for hotel use. first floor architraves with square paterae, round-headed alcoves and cornice of intersecting circles previously.
No 197 retains hall with moulded cornice, round-headed arch on console brackets and staircase with column newel and stick balusters but lower balusters replaced by later turned balusters. Ground floor has wooden cupboard with square paterae. First floor has wooden fireplace with reeded surround and paterae.
No 199 much altered internally but retains hall with moulded cornice and round-headed arch with leaf brackets, moulded architraves, original architraves but later balustrading and newel posts to staircase following fire damage.
No 201 much altered internally; some original doors and architraves, parts of reeded cornice.
No 203 is much altered internally. It has a panelled partition on first floor which could be original. The staircase has been replaced by a late C19 staircase with turned balusters and newel post with acorn finial.
HISTORY: this row, first called Belvoir Terrace, dates from c.1827. An Act was passed in 1826 enabling the development of lands belonging to the Rev Henry Wise, and the terrace is shown on the 1829 edition of Crutchley's map of London. It stands within an area known previously as Neat House Gardens. Vauxhall Bridge and its approach road were opened in 1816, opening up this part of London for development. Directly behind Belvoir Terrace ran an open sewer (closed over in 1844). An early development in this part of Pimlico and one of the few to survive in this area. The terrace, now shorter than when first built, possesses various features of interest including the former projecting centrepiece to the row, which endows the fronts with an architectural presence. The remaining houses of Belvoir Terrace are listed as characteristic examples of late Georgian domestic architecture laid out along a new arterial route.

SOURCE: 2002 report by Steven Levrant Heritage Architecture.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.