This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4935 / 51°29'36"N
Longitude: -0.1572 / 0°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 528024
OS Northings: 178777
OS Grid: TQ280787
Mapcode National: GBR 8L.WT
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.7Q7H
Plus Code: 9C3XFRVV+94
Entry Name: Sedding Telephone Exchange
Listing Date: 6 November 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488230
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW1X
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Royal Hospital
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Sloane Square
Church of England Diocese: London
249/0/10229 SEDDING STREET
06-NOV-01 Sedding Telephone Exchange
Telephone Exchange. 1924 by John H. Markham FRIBA for HM Office of Works. Neo-Georgian telephone exchange faced in red brick (laid in English bond) and Portland stone; cast iron Neo-Grec railings, cast iron royal coat of arms over entrance, metal windows, roof not visible. Three storeys with attic and basement. Entrance front on Sedding Street: five-bay central section, blind side bays, single bay continuation to left; two-bay south-facing return. Portland stone plinth, plat band at first floor, heavy dentil cornice, coping to parapet. Stone door surround with guilloche ornament with fluted rod above, from which is suspended fillets with hand-held telephone sets. Tall windows to first floor with gauged brick arches; central window has a stone surround and pediment, and a cast iron balcony with heavy Baroque foliage supporting the royal coat of arms and urn finials. All windows are metal-framed. Second floor windows with stone cills. Northern elevation to Sloane Terrace with projecting bays at either end and a central five-bay section. Tripartite windows to end bays on ground and first floors, the latter with pediments. Ventilation openings with ornamental cast iron screens at second floor level. Side bays have lobed rectangular windows to second floors, main central section has windows with stone cills and gauged arches. Attic windows to central section, shallow pyramidal-capped stone terminations to side bays. Cast iron railings with anthemion finials and lozenge-decorated panels in front of area. Interior not inspected. HISTORY: this was built as the Sloane Telephone Exchange: a drawing of the building was exhibited at the 1924 Royal Academy exhibition (see The Builder May 30 1924, 868). An exceptionally good example of the Office of Works' characteristic Neo-Georgian output, displaying its attention to detail, high quality of construction, and subtle use of decoration.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings