This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1119 / 52°6'42"N
Longitude: -2.3457 / 2°20'44"W
OS Eastings: 376425
OS Northings: 246013
OS Grid: SO764460
Mapcode National: GBR 0FM.FT3
Mapcode Global: VH934.959T
Plus Code: 9C4V4M63+QP
Entry Name: Two gas street lamps
Listing Date: 7 November 2001
Last Amended: 1 February 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488234
Location: West Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
Civil Parish: West Malvern
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: West Malvern St James
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Two cast-iron C19 gas street lamps.
Lamp at NGR SO 7642546013
The tapering Windsor lantern is supported on four scrolled brackets, set on a flared capital and reeded column with a moulded base. The octagonal plinth tapers and has stepped scroll stops to a square foot. The ladder rest has reeded arms with moulded finials. By Hamilton Woods & Co. Ltd of Manchester; the plinth is cast with the founder's mark.
Lamp at NGR SO 7645046220
The tapering Windsor lantern is supported on four scrolled brackets, set on a flared capital and reeded column with moulded base on a tapering octagonal plinth with stepped scroll stops to a square foot. The ladder rest has reeded arms with moulded finials. By Hamilton Woods & Co. Ltd of Manchester; the plinth is cast with the founder's mark.
A third lamp at NGR SO 7645446119 has lost its lantern and its ladder rest and is not of special interest.
In 1851, permission was given for the building of a gas works at Sherrards Green in Malvern, the first to be built in the town. It opened in 1856, with the capacity to serve around 500 houses in the vicinity, as well as 200 street lamps. Further gas plants were opened around the town, and eventually all of Malvern, even remote locations, was provided with gas street lighting. In 1872, a lamplighter was paid 14s a week to light the lamps each evening. In total there were around 250 lamps, of which around 100 are still lit by gas, with a hand-wound clockwork mechanism to light them automatically. A further 125 have been converted to electric lighting; there are some replica lamp posts, and a few have been tapped off or lost entirely. The lamps were cast by a number of foundries, many of which were local, others much further afield, including Sheffield and Manchester. The lanterns were supplied by William Sugg & Company which was founded in London in 1837 to provide elements for gas lighting, and Foster and Pullen Ltd of Bradford.
Three gas lamps were installed on Westminster Bank in the C19. Two have had their lanterns replaced with identical lanterns made by the company which produced the originals; one has had its lantern replaced with a weather vane.
The two C19 gas street lamps on Westminster Bank are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: the lamps are intact, and remain lit by gas;
* Design quality: not withstanding their humble nature, the lamp standards have an elegant reeded design that is well cast, and neatly-detailed Windsor lanterns;
* Technological: they illustrate a technology which once transformed everyday existence;
* Historic interest: as part of an extensive network of similar gas-lit street lamps which survive across Malvern.
Other nearby listed buildings