This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1202 / 52°7'12"N
Longitude: -2.3353 / 2°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 377139
OS Northings: 246926
OS Grid: SO771469
Mapcode National: GBR 0FM.4D9
Mapcode Global: VH92Y.GZS1
Entry Name: One gas street lamp
Listing Date: 7 November 2001
Last Amended: 1 February 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488245
Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Malvern
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Malvern The Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
A C19 gas street lamp, by Hattersley and Company.
The lamp is constructed of cast iron with a Windsor lantern. The tapering lantern is supported on four scrolled brackets, set on a tapering, octagonal column with a heavily-moulded octagonal ring. The lamp has a moulded base set on an octagonal plinth with ogee stops; the plinth is cast with the founder's mark. The ladder rest has slender, circular arms with moulded knop finials.
In 1851, permission was given for the building of a gas works at Sherrards Green in Malvern, the first to be built in the town. It opened in 1856, with the capacity to serve around 500 houses in the vicinity, as well as 200 street lamps. Further gas plants were opened around the town, and eventually all of Malvern, even remote locations, was provided with gas street lighting. In 1872, a lamplighter was paid 14s a week to light the lamps each evening. In total there were around 250 lamps, of which around 100 are still lit by gas, with a hand-wound clockwork mechanism to light them automatically. A further 125 have been converted to electric lighting; there are some replica lamp posts, and a few have been tapped off or lost entirely. The lamps were cast by a number of foundries, many of which were local, others much further afield, including Sheffield and Manchester. The lanterns were supplied by William Sugg & Company which was founded in London in 1837 to provide elements for gas lighting, and Foster and Pullen Ltd of Bradford.
The gas street lamp on the south side of North Malvern Road was manufactured by Hattersley and Company of Sheffield and installed in the C19.
The C19 gas street lamp in North Malvern Quarries car park, North Malvern Road is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Design quality: the lamp standard is well cast and there is a neatly-detailed Windsor lantern;
* Technological: it illustrates a technology which once transformed everyday existence;
* Historic interest: as part of an extensive network of similar gas-lit street lamps which survive across Malvern.
Other nearby listed buildings