This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3392 / 51°20'21"N
Longitude: -0.7725 / 0°46'20"W
OS Eastings: 485602
OS Northings: 160728
OS Grid: SU856607
Mapcode National: GBR D8L.X3Q
Mapcode Global: VHDXH.KLHQ
Entry Name: Oak Grove House and Attached Front Walls, Royal Military Academy
Listing Date: 20 December 1972
Last Amended: 14 February 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489358
Location: Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest, GU15
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Sandhurst
Built-Up Area: Sandhurst
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Sandhurst
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU86SE LONDON ROAD
674-1/18/170 (North West side)
20/12/72 Oak Grove House and attached front
walls, Royal Military Academy
(Formerly Listed as:
Oak Grove House to west-south-west
of main building)
Officer's house. Dated 1810, by John Sanders, architect,
MATERIALS: Painted render with ridge and front lateral stacks
and slate hipped roof.
PLAN: double depth plan.
STYLE: late Georgian style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement, 1:3-window range. Originally
square plan with matching 3-window sides, moulded first floor
cill band, cornice and parapet, now with side one window C20
Entrance front has steps, with wrought iron rail to right and
ramped, coped wall to left, up to right hand porch with
moulded coping, narrow flat headed doorway with overlight and
6-panel door, and iron overthrow lantern, to left shallow
single storey section projects with 3 narrow lights. Ground
floor windows have architraves with cornices, first floor
windows have eared architraves, to recessed 6/6-pane sashes,
blind window above the porch, with 2 reeded lead hoppers to
left inscribed G III R/1810.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having a dogleg stair
from an entrance lobby.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached basement area wall extends along
the right hand return, with corner moulded cast iron lamp
HISTORY: with Lake House (qv), one of a pair of matching
lodges to the Old College (qv), for the Paymaster at the
college, and part of a fine group.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: Oakgrove House: 1950-:
ALD/248; Country Life: Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst:
London: 1969-: 1662; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Berkshire: 1966-: 211).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings