This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5576 / 51°33'27"N
Longitude: 0.0129 / 0°0'46"E
OS Eastings: 539636
OS Northings: 186224
OS Grid: TQ396862
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.FYD
Mapcode Global: VHHNB.53NR
Entry Name: Church Hall/Parish Institute to the Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 26 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490530
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E11
District: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Cann Hall
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Leytonstone St Margaret with St Columba
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1802/0/10024 WOODHOUSE ROAD
Church Hall/Parish Institute to the Ch
urch of St Margaret of Antioch
Church Hall. 1910. Architect unknown. Polychrome brick, slate roof.
EXTERIOR: two storeys. Gabled end to street with a three-light window within a hood-mould and with banded mullions. Five rectangular lights to ground floor below, flanking buttresses, stone pinnacle to gable. To right, a projecting porch with a traceried over-door panel set within a moulded archway with a gable above; pair of rectangular lights to upper floor. Mullioned windows to side, with low dormer windows to roof.
INTERIOR: features of note include an upper room with stage at east end, an open trussed roof, two orders of windows, a panelled ceiling and chamfered window surrounds.
HISTORY: this building replaced earlier parish rooms which were lost in a fire in 1906. The foundation stone is inscribed 'CH Risdale MA Vicar of St Margaret's Church 1906-1909 on 22 January 1910'. Listed as a spirited example of the type, possessing considerable group value with the church of St Margaret of Antioch (designed by Newman & Jacques in 1892). It is contemporaneous with the church's Lady Chapel, with which it shares some features in common. Together the pair form a notable suburban enclave of Late Victorian/Edwardian High Anglicanism.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings