This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N
Longitude: 0.0071 / 0°0'25"E
OS Eastings: 539237
OS Northings: 186273
OS Grid: TQ392862
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.DGY
Mapcode Global: VHHNB.23MB
Entry Name: Leytonstone War Memorial and Gardens
Listing Date: 15 January 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1418327
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E11
County: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Cann Hall
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Harrow Green Holy Trinity and St Augustine of Hippo
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World War set in its own gardens, unveiled by Lt General Sir Francis Lloyd in November 1925.
A tapering granite obelisk on a shouldered plinth and stepped base. The bottom step is circular and the upper steps semi-octagonal. Wreaths in carved relief are located on the top of each face of the obelisk and with small tie mouldings at the base of the obelisk. No names are recorded on the memorial although there is evidence that metal plaques had once been attached to the base of the obelisk.
The inscription on the base reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD / IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED. / IN SYMPATHY WITH THOSE WHO SUFFERED / AND / IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE / OF THE MEN OF / LEYTON AND LEYTONSTONE / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WARS / 1914 – 1918 – 1939 – 1945.
The gardens around the memorial are laid out in a triangular form with a brick boundary wall, granite curbing posts and chains. Each of the four entrances to the gardens is flanked by two piers, those at the main entrance supporting two electric light standards in the shape of flames.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
The memorial was constructed by the firm of masons William Griffiths and Co Ltd and unveiled on 21 November 1925 to commemorate the men of Leyton and Leytonstone who fell during the First World War. The memorial was unveiled by Lt General Sir Francis Lloyd and was dedicated by the suffragan Bishop of Barking. The title deed of the memorial was given to the care of the District Council by Capt DM Smith JP (Chairman of the Memorial Trustees). The memorial was subsequently also used to commemorate the fallen of the Second World War.
The date of the construction of the garden around the memorial is not known.
The Leytonstone war memorial and gardens, unveiled in 1925, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level.
* Architectural interest: as a strong composition set in its own gardens in a prominent location in Leytonstone.
Other nearby listed buildings