This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4658 / 51°27'56"N
Longitude: -2.117 / 2°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 391970
OS Northings: 174094
OS Grid: ST919740
Mapcode National: GBR 1R5.5KT
Mapcode Global: VH96C.8F66
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 15 October 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490349
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Built-Up Area: Chippenham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
930-1/0/10015 GREENWAY LANE
15-OCT-03 The Priory
House; now an old people's home. Dated 1910; possibly by Sir Harold Brakspear; altered and extended late C20. Roughcast stone with stone dressings and timber-framed south front with plastered panels. Stone tile hipped roof with stone ball finials, one with wrought-iron weather-vane and eaves gutters with wrought-iron scroll brackets. Rendered axial and lateral stacks with moulded stone caps.
PLAN: Double-depth plan with two principal rooms at front on either side of of entrance hall to right of centre and with service wing to rear left [NW]. Late C20 single-storey wing to rear right [NE].
Domestic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Almost symmetrical 3-bay south front with broad corner piers, [the right with stone sundial dated 1910], between which the timber-framed front is recessed, the first floor jettied on projecting joist ends and brackets and with curved tension-braces; doorway to right of centre with moulded frame with 3-centred arch, carved spandrels, rectangular overlight, wrought-iron overlight and ledged door with cover-moulds, wrought-iron strap hinges and moulded iron drop handle; moulded timber mullion windows, 4-light to left and 2-light to right; first floor with small canted oriel to left and right and 3-light central window, all with moulded timber frames, wrought-iron casements with catches and leaded panes; C20 flat roof dormer. East side has similar 2- and 4-light casement windows with leaded panes. West side has narrow projecting bay with oculus in gable and lean-to oushut to left. Rear north elevation has large 3-light moulded stone mullion-transom stair window and service wing on right with oculus in gable and integral stack rising from left corner with moulded stone cap; late C20 single-storey outshut below stair window and late C20 single-storey wing on left.
INTERIOR: Panelled hall with dog-leg staircase at back with oak balustrade with square newels with finials. Drawing room has panelling and fireplace with moulded stone frame and carved panel overmantel; exposed ceiling beams and joists and panelled doors.
A good example of an Edwardian Domestic Revival style house.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings