History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Romping Cat

A Grade II Listed Building in Bloxwich, Walsall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6179 / 52°37'4"N

Longitude: -2.0092 / 2°0'33"W

OS Eastings: 399474

OS Northings: 302237

OS Grid: SJ994022

Mapcode National: GBR 2BJ.WBS

Mapcode Global: WHBFV.3GJD

Entry Name: The Romping Cat

Listing Date: 11 March 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 493365

Location: Walsall, WS3

County: Walsall

Electoral Ward/Division: Bloxwich West

Built-Up Area: Bloxwich

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Bloxwich All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bloxwich

Listing Text

1690/0/10034 ELSMORE GREEN
11-MAR-04 The Romping Cat

II
Public House. c.1900. Red brick with timber-framed detailing, tile gabled roofs. 2-storey Vernacular Revival style public house on a corner site.
EXTERIOR: To corner, wide jetty with applied studs, curved braces and polygonal cutouts within gable with bargeboards and finial; the jetty is square over the rounded ground floor. 3 bays to each side elevation with deep rendered plinth, moulded brick string course with slightly advanced first floor, and coved eaves cornice. First floor windows have timber mullioned cross frames with leaded lights arranged 3-2-3, brick cills, and moulded and chamfered reveals. Ground floor windows have rounded arches with circular tracery and coloured glass to upper part, brick cills, moulded and chamfered reveals, and etched glass indicating 'COFFEE ROOM' to right side where there is an additional bay at ground floor. Entrance to each side under rounded arch. At both sides, wall continues under stone coping, that to right side starting at first floor and curved down, terminating in brick pier with pyramidal stone cap.
INTERIOR: Plan survives, reflecting the corner site, with central Bar Room and diagonally arranged curved bar counter, Coffee Room to right and smaller Smoke Room to left. Curved bar counter with panelled with dividing pilasters that are fluted and curved like brackets; back bar has slender fluted pilasters and exaggerated dentil course to top. Several original interior doors with etched glass to upper part and 2 panels below. Off-sales hatch with glazed overlight. Tiled floors.
HISTORY: Built as Sand Bank Tavern. Included on the 2003 CAMRA inventory of outstanding pub interiors. Formerly had yard to rear with stables.

Listed as a fine example of a small urban public house of c.1900 in a historicist style on a corner site that retains its 3-room plan and pub fittings.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1690/0/10034 ELSMORE GREEN
11-MAR-04 The Romping Cat

II
Public House. c.1900. Red brick with timber-framed detailing, tile gabled roofs. 2-storey Vernacular Revival style public house on a corner site.
EXTERIOR: To corner, wide jetty with applied studs, curved braces and polygonal cutouts within gable with bargeboards and finial; the jetty is square over the rounded ground floor. 3 bays to each side elevation with deep rendered plinth, moulded brick string course with slightly advanced first floor, and coved eaves cornice. First floor windows have timber mullioned cross frames with leaded lights arranged 3-2-3, brick cills, and moulded and chamfered reveals. Ground floor windows have rounded arches with circular tracery and coloured glass to upper part, brick cills, moulded and chamfered reveals, and etched glass indicating 'COFFEE ROOM' to right side where there is an additional bay at ground floor. Entrance to each side under rounded arch. At both sides, wall continues under stone coping, that to right side starting at first floor and curved down, terminating in brick pier with pyramidal stone cap.
INTERIOR: Plan survives, reflecting the corner site, with central Bar Room and diagonally arranged curved bar counter, Coffee Room to right and smaller Smoke Room to left. Curved bar counter with panelled with dividing pilasters that are fluted and curved like brackets; back bar has slender fluted pilasters and exaggerated dentil course to top. Several original interior doors with etched glass to upper part and 2 panels below. Off-sales hatch with glazed overlight. Tiled floors.
HISTORY: Built as Sand Bank Tavern. Included on the 2003 CAMRA inventory of outstanding pub interiors. Formerly had yard to rear with stables.

Listed as a fine example of a small urban public house of c.1900 in a historicist style on a corner site that retains its 3-room plan and pub fittings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.