This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1343 / 53°8'3"N
Longitude: -1.5552 / 1°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 429858
OS Northings: 359776
OS Grid: SK298597
Mapcode National: GBR 58X.HND
Mapcode Global: WHCDP.2HQ0
Plus Code: 9C5W4CMV+PW
Entry Name: Pic Tor War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 August 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495002
Location: Matlock Town, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Matlock Town
Built-Up Area: Matlock
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Matlock St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Derby
668/0/10048 Pic Tor War Memorial
A war memorial erected in 1921. It consists of a large stone Celtic cross on a tapering shaft and a stepped base of local gritstone. The base of the plinth has two brass plaques on each face. It was originally dedicated to the dead of the First World War and subsequently also dedicated to the dead of the Second World War. The upper plaque on the north face is inscribed with '1914-1919/IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING REMEMBRANCE/OF OUR MEN/WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/FOR/HONOUR AND FREEDOM/HE LIVES IN FAME/THAT DIED IN VIRTUE'S CAUSE'. The upper plaques on the other faces record the names of the 178 men from Matlock who died in the First World War The lower plaque on the north face is inscribed with '1939-45/WE WILL REMEMBER THEM' and the lower plaques on the other faces record the names of the 47 men of Matlock who died in the Second World War.
History: The erection of a monument in Matlock was delayed by discussions as to the most appropriate design and location. It was finally decided that the memorial should take the form of a cross, as a symbol of God's sacrifice of his son, and be located on Pic Tor, a limestone outcrop overlooking the town. The monument, which cost approximately £500, was designed by William Nathan Statham, a local artist and photographer, and built by John William Wildgoose, a local builder and quarry owner. It was unveiled on 7 August 1921 by Mr F C Arkwright, who lost a son and son-in-law during the First World War.
Summary of Importance: War memorials have a very strong historical and cultural significance on both a local and national scale. In terms of its size and prominent location overlooking the town, this is an impressive example of a war memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings