This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7026 / 51°42'9"N
Longitude: -1.1046 / 1°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 461974
OS Northings: 200804
OS Grid: SP619008
Mapcode National: GBR B17.9JK
Mapcode Global: VHCY3.SGXN
Plus Code: 9C3WPV3W+25
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 23 January 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494804
Location: Little Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
Civil Parish: Little Milton
Built-Up Area: Little Milton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Milton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Tagged with: K6 telephone box
316/0/10002 GORE STREET
23-JAN-07 K6 telephone kiosk
K6 telephone box. Designed in 1935 by Giles Gilbert Scott; the date of this example is not known.
MATERIALS: Cast iron, glass.
DESCRIPTION: Glazed door (in this case the door is a replacement with perspex panes) and sides beneath a domical roof; there are narrow panes on either side of the horizontal glazing. In the segmental upper structure on each side is a relief crown, placed above a glazed panel bearing the word TELEPHONE. This example is painted red.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The archetypal K6 telephone kiosk was designed by the eminent architect Giles Gilbert Scott (of Battersea Power Station and Liverpool Cathedral fame) in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V, and was a development on Scott's 1924 K2 design. Generally painted red, the Neoclassical design, influenced by the work of the Regency architect Sir John Soane, is of special architectural interest for the quality of the architectural design as applied to an industrially produced object of mass communication. Some 70,000 K6's were ultimately produced, and it is therefore necessary to identify the best examples of the type for designation. To be listable a kiosk needs to have a strong visual relationship with more than one listed building. This particular example stands on a small green alongside a group of listed buildings including the village post office.
Other nearby listed buildings