This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8193 / 50°49'9"N
Longitude: -0.1361 / 0°8'10"W
OS Eastings: 531388
OS Northings: 103852
OS Grid: TQ313038
Mapcode National: GBR JP4.GDZ
Mapcode Global: FRA B6LX.YLN
Plus Code: 9C2XRV97+PG
Entry Name: Pair of K6 Telephone Kiosks
Listing Date: 1 November 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392289
English Heritage Legacy ID: 503319
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Queen's Park
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton The Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
577/0/10102 EAST SIDE OF PALACE PIER, MADEIRA DRIVE
01-NOV-07 Pair of K6 Telephone Kiosks
Pair of K6 telephone kiosks, modelled on a design of 1935.
MATERIALS: cast iron and glass (except where later modified).
These K6 telephone kiosks abutt each other. They are situated on the seaside Esplanade in Madeira Drive, standing on the east side of the semi-circular entrance area of the Palace Pier, a Grade II* listed building, before a prominent crossroads.
The K6 is a standardised design, and these examples bear no variant features. They are each made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides, and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof (although one was missing at the time of listing in 2007).
They have modernised equipment and the backs of both have been replaced and are no longer of cast iron.
The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE
These K6 telephone kiosks are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons
* They are examples of the important K6 design of 1935 by the eminent architect Giles Gilbert Scott with minor modifications.
* They occupy a setting of outstanding special interest, standing on the Esplanade next to the Grade II* listed Palace Pier, on a major crossroads flanked on one side by the Grade II* listed Royal Albion Hotel and on the other by the Grade II listed Brighton Aquarium, and are in close proximity to a set of Grade II listed lamp posts lying to the east along the Esplanade.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings