This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1848 / 51°11'5"N
Longitude: 0.7438 / 0°44'37"E
OS Eastings: 591849
OS Northings: 146424
OS Grid: TQ918464
Mapcode National: GBR RW4.NVP
Mapcode Global: VHKKC.VH21
Entry Name: Farm Building to East of Pevington Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 April 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504725
Location: Pluckley, Ashford, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Pluckley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1155/1/10037 EGERTON ROAD
10-APR-08 Farm building to east of Pevington Far
Farm building, probably built as a stable. Constructed in the C18, but probably reusing older masonry, possibly medieval.
MATERIALS: Coursed Kentish ragstone with red brick dressings and sections of brickwork to south wall. Hipped tiled roof.
PLAN: A long and narrow single-storeyed building possibly built in two phases, aligned east to west.
EXTERIOR: The west side has a plank door approached up three steps. The north side has no windows whilst the south side has a blocked cambered headed opening and a smaller opening below at the eastern end. The western end of the south side projects and is of red brick on a ragstone base.
INTERIOR: The roof is of two phases. The eastern end has an early to mid-C18 roof with staggered purlins. The western end has a late-C18 roof of thinner timber scantling with collar beams and dragon ties.
HISTORY: Pevington Farm was an ancient manor and Pevington formerly a distinct parish separate from Pluckley. The manor of Pevington was granted to Bishop Odo of Bayeux after the Norman Conquest and appears in the Domesday Book. The church at Pevington, dedicated to St Mary, was an appendage to the manor and in the patronage of the lords of the Manor. In 1583 the ecclesiastical parish was united with Pluckley because the church had fallen into a ruinous condition. In 1798 Edward Hasted's "The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent" reported that the church had been converted into a stable. Since 1612 Pevington Farm was part of the Dering estate. This building, and most other farm buildings at Pevington Farm, are shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey map. On this map it is shown with a wall dividing the building into two.
Edward Hasted's "The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent" Vol VII (1798)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
* As an C18 farm building, probably originally a stable, probably partly constructed with earlier masonry from a nearby ruined medieval church;
* The roof structure is of two phases, both C18.
* The building forms part of a good farm group on a historic site which already includes several listed buildings, including the farmhouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings