This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2449 / 52°14'41"N
Longitude: 0.4125 / 0°24'45"E
OS Eastings: 564804
OS Northings: 263485
OS Grid: TL648634
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.93H
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.3TFY
Plus Code: 9F426CV7+X2
Entry Name: Wroughton House
Listing Date: 26 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505920
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL6463 OLD STATION ROAD
177-1/0/23 (Northeast side)
Racehorse trainer's house adjoining Wroughton House Stables, Old Station Road (q.v.). Mid C18, but probably incorporating of earlier structure, refronted and altered c.1800, late C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Originally red brick but, except end gables, stuccoed with scribed masonry joints in early C19, the stucco replaced on the front by roughcast in mid C20; end-gabled plain-tiled roof, front parapet and coped gables, dormers with flat lead roofs, gault brick stack on each gable and three stacks at rear. Flat roofed extension at rear.
PLAN: a single-depth lateral range with single-depth extension added against east half of rear wall.
EXTERIOR: two storeys, attic and cellar. On the front at each end a giant strip pilaster faced in stucco supports a continuous, moulded stone, crowning string course below a parapet which has a stone coping. Irregularly spaced fenestration. On the ground floor to right of centre the entrance doorway with rectangular fanlight and four-panel door framed by fluted pilasters with moulded caps, and a flat hood supported on console brackets. To right of doorway two windows and to left four windows and on the first floor five windows, all with wide stucco surrounds and formerly all fitted with early C19 sashes, mostly with glazing bars, replaced c.1985 with side-hung, metal-framed, plain sashes; five roof dormers with C20 casements. Rear extension probably a stable range converted in late C19 to service rooms.
INTERIOR: Late C19 staircase with turned balusters; in principal rooms on both floors boxed beams unrelated to C18 plan. Some mid C18 joinery and moulded plaster cornices; C18 doors in attic. In each of the two linked rooms to left of entrance hall an early C19 marble chimney-piece.
REFERENCE: shown on John Chapman's Maps of Newmarket, 1768 and 1787, as probably belonging to the Duke of Grafton.
NOTE. Wroughton House was formerly listed together with the stable wing to left. This wing is now included in an entry with the stable range to rear (q.v.).
Other nearby listed buildings