This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2455 / 52°14'43"N
Longitude: 0.4126 / 0°24'45"E
OS Eastings: 564808
OS Northings: 263550
OS Grid: TL648635
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.94D
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.3THH
Plus Code: 9F426CW7+52
Entry Name: Cadland House and Cadland House Stables
Listing Date: 30 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505814
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL66SE OLD STATION ROAD
177-1/0/22 (Northeast side)
Cadland House and Cadland House Stables
Racehorse trainer's house and ranges of racehorse stables at rear along the west and north sides of stable yard and on the south and eastern sides of stable yard. The north and west ranges early C18/mid C18, both with minor C19 and C20 alterations. The south and east ranges early C19 with later alterations. The C20 back-to-back range in the centre of the yard is not of special architectural interest.
HOUSE. Early C19 with earlier origins and with mid C19 alterations. Painted and rendered brick with slate roof and end stacks. 2 storeys. 3-window range at first floor of 2/2 sashes. On ground floor a central doorway with panelled door and tripartite sashes either side. Sashes and single-storey extension to rear which links to the south west end of the west stable range.
INTERIOR. Late C19 dado panelling in dining room.
STABLE RANGES. Red brick in Flemish bond painted cream; the north range with half-hipped roof, plain tiled, west range a corrugated roof, and south and east ranges have slate roofs.
NORTH RANGE, PLAN: a rectangular block facing stable yard; to left of a central lobby two caged loose boxes, and to right two tack rooms, with hay loft above. EXTERIOR: two storeys; brick dentil cornices to eaves and half-gable verges. On the front facing yard central doorway to lobby, to left a doorway to loose box passage, and to right a doorway to stalls, all with side-hung fanlights and stable doors; to left between the doorways a sash with glazing bars (3x4 panes), all in openings with segmental arched heads. At first floor level two loft doors and between them a Yorkshire sash. The rear facing Warren Hill on the ground floor has doorway to right with a decorative, cast iron ventilator set in the wall above the lintel; on the first floor two loft doorways with horizontal boarded doors. The end walls are blank.
INTERIOR: on the ground floor the central lobby between timber-framed cross partitions with brick-on-edge nogging; loose boxes and stalls with C19 partitions. In the loft a C18 timber-framed central cross partition, and a similar framed partition between the hayloft and the abutting end of the range on the west side of the yard; open timber roof of five bays: trusses with tie beams, formerly angle braced, and collars, and in each bay heavy butt purlins and exposed rafters with pegged joints; several inserted ties between trusses.
WEST RANGE, PLAN: a long range of caged and loose boxes with entry from Sackville Street into yard.
EXTERIOR: cream painted brick with corrugated roof. Single storey with loft, a doorway to each section with stable door.
INTERIOR: caged and loose boxes. Original butt purlin roof, interrupted by the north range which must be slightly later in date.
EAST AND SOUTH RANGES, PLAN: a long range of loose boxes with office formed in south range.
EXTERIOR: cream painted brick with slate roof. Single storey, a doorway to each loose box with stable door. Part of south range converted to office.
HISTORY: the north stable block is depicted in a panoramic view of Newmarket from Warren Hill by Peter Tillemans, c.1725, and in an engraved view of the training grounds outside the stables by James Pollard, dated 1825. Cadland House and Cadland House Stables are shown on both editions of John Chapman's late C18 Map of Newmarket. The earlier edition shows them as belonging to --Vernon Esq., but on the 1787 edition the key symbol referring to the Duke of Grafton is unclear as to whether the reference is to this set or to Wroughton House next door (q.v.). Later they were owned by the fifth Duke of Rutland, and were named after his racehorse "Cadland", the joint winner of the Derby in 1828.
This fine example of a racehorse training establishment is one of the most historic in Newmarket, containing stables dating from the early C18, almost certainly the earliest surviving in the town, as well as from the early and mid C19.
REFERENCE: Forest Heath District Council: Newmarket Horse Racing Training Yards: 1992.
John Chapman: Map of Newmarket, 1768 and 1787 editions.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings