This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.245 / 52°14'42"N
Longitude: 0.4125 / 0°24'44"E
OS Eastings: 564800
OS Northings: 263503
OS Grid: TL648635
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.93F
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.3TDT
Plus Code: 9F426CW6+2X
Entry Name: Two Stable Ranges, One Attached to and the Other Immediately North of Wroughton House
Listing Date: 30 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506218
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL66SE OLD STATION ROAD
177-1/0/24 (East side)
30-OCT-06 Two stable ranges, one attached to and
the other immediately north of Wrough
Racehorse training stables. Two ranges comprising a mid C18 range attached to the north west side of the trainer's house and formerly listed with Wroughton House, 37 Old Station Road, (q.v.), as "stable wing to left", and at rear on the north east side of small inner stable yard an early C19 range extended in mid C19 to south east. Later alterations to both ranges. Both ranges red brick; C18 range with brick coped gables and corrugated asbestos roof; C19 range with plain tile roof.
PLAN: C18 range with south east gable-end flush with front of the house, and at rear extending into the yard to a small shed between the rear gable-end wall and the north west end of the C19 range.
EXTERIOR: the C18 range single storey and hayloft attic. In the rear gable end wall to left is the entrance doorway with rectangular fanlight, and in the gable a loft doorway with vertical boarded door. In the front gable end wall on the ground floor are two sashes and in the gable two sashes, all with glazing bars in segmental-arched openings. The C19 range is of two storeys with hay loft in the upper storey; in the early C19 half, on the ground floor, a doorway and to left a sash with glazing bars (3x4 panes). To right in the mid C19 half are three stable doors; on the first floor four wide casements with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: C18 range divided by a central cross-wall with archway for passage to loose boxes; on each side of cross-wall a pair of cage boxes replace three former stalls, the positions of the stall partitions indicated by wall scars, and two of the former stall partitions, with raked top beams, heightened and extended for re-use as partitions with timber fronts added to form boxes faced with hoop iron strapping. In each box a patent stoneware manger, iron tethering rings; brick-on-edge floors to passage and boxes.
In the early C19 half of the range to left is evidence of three former stalls. In the mid C19 half of the range to right are three loose boxes with connecting doors in the partitions between the boxes, all faced with hoop iron strapping, and on the top of each partition a screen of turned timber balusters; brick floors. Over the loft an open timber roof with tie beam and collar trusses and exposed rafters.
HISTORY: these buildings appear to be shown on Chapman's map. It is uncertain whether the key shows them as then belonging to the Duke of Grafton or Sir John Moore, though the earlier edition suggests they belonged to the Duke of Grafton.
REFERENCE. John Chapman's Maps of Newmarket, 1768 and 1787.
NOTE. The stable range attached to the left of Wroughton House was listed on 26 June 1984. The other range is added by virtue of this amendment.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings