This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3246 / 53°19'28"N
Longitude: -3.0497 / 3°2'58"W
OS Eastings: 330180
OS Northings: 381362
OS Grid: SJ301813
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y4Z.KY
Mapcode Global: WH87L.4P1P
Entry Name: Copley Lodge and Attached Estate Wall
Listing Date: 15 January 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504732
Location: Wirral, CH63
Electoral Ward/Division: Clatterbridge
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thornton Hough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
1755/0/10045 MANOR ROAD
15-JAN-09 Thornton Hough
Copley Lodge and attached estate wall
Lodge to Copley estate, 1867, rock-faced red sandstone, ashlar dressings, decorative patterned slate roof with fishscale detailing, Gothic style, 1 1/2 storeys.
PLAN: Reverse L-shaped plan with canted SE corner entrance, projecting front and left wings; that to front facing Manor Road.
EXTERIOR: Decorative ridge crest in same style as that to main house, ancillary ranges and Copley Cottages. Two shaped side wall chimney stacks to rear and right side elevations. Windows incorporate 1-over-1 sashes. Identically styled front and left side elevations with projecting gabled bays incorporating canted ground floor containing wide 3-light segmental pointed window, sashes with shaped heads, carved ribbon and shield motif to tympanum, similar styled side lights. First floor supported on corbelled vaulted ribs with pendants over the canted side bays, projecting central section containing a tall pointed 2-light tracery style window with diamond-shaped foil above, low balcony in front with pierced balustrade. Original bargeboards removed to both elevations. Main entrance to canted SE corner between front and left elevations, with segmental pointed doorway, hoodmould with carved foliage bosses, replaced door. Two carved corbels above flanking stone ribbon and shield motif incorporating the date '1867'. Flat hood above. Corbel table to eaves line replicated to rear and right side of property. Plainer gable to rear elevation with 2-light segmental pointed window to ground floor, narrower single light window to first floor. Mid-late C20 outshut extension is not of interest.
INTERIOR: Original doors, timber stair to rear, Gothic style fireplace and moulded cornicing to left ground floor room, replaced fireplace to front ground-floor room.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Rock-faced sandstone estate boundary wall attached to front gable of building, curves outwards to right side. Decorative ashlar section to left side with pierced segmental pointed openings, carved copings, timber pedestrian gate with decorative pierced ironwork to upper part, hoodmould with carved foliage bosses, carved Flemish style stone surround. Shaped octagonal gate pier attached to left with tall pointed cap incorporating dentils and foliage shaped finial. Opposite gate pier partly repaired with modern stone, plain curved wall to left. Original gates removed.
HISTORY: Copley was constructed c.1866-68 to the designs of an unknown architect as a private residence. It is believed to have been built for Stephen Williamson, Scottish Member of Parliament whose son, Archibald Williamson, later became Baron Forres in 1922. Copley was later bought by the 1st Viscount Leverhulme (who owned and lived in the neighbouring property Thornton Manor) largely for its land. The house (and associated lodge, cottages and outbuildings) and one of its fields were then subsequently re-sold. The house remained in private ownership until WWII when it became a corn exchange. In c.1947 the house and its associated buildings were bought by the 2nd Viscount Leverhulme. The buildings remain in residential use.
E Hubbard & N Pevsner. The Buildings of England Series: Cheshire (New Haven & London, 2003)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Copley Lodge and the attached estate wall is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a key component in the important survival of a large mid-Victorian country estate that retains its main house, stable and garage ranges, associated lodge and cottages, and gardens
* The Gothic exterior is particularly finely detailed and highly decorative with shaped windows, carved stonework and a patterned slate roof
* Both the exterior and interior of the lodge are well preserved with only minor alteration
* Original interior features survive including a Gothic style fireplace, moulded cornicing and original timber stair
* It has group value with the main house, its attached ancillary ranges, and Copley Cottages, with which there is stylistic continuity both externally and internally
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings