This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3258 / 53°19'32"N
Longitude: -3.0503 / 3°3'1"W
OS Eastings: 330139
OS Northings: 381497
OS Grid: SJ301814
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y4Z.DJ
Mapcode Global: WH87L.3NQR
Entry Name: Copley Cottages and Attached Estate Wall
Listing Date: 15 January 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504733
Location: Wirral, CH63
Electoral Ward/Division: Clatterbridge
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thornton Hough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
1755/0/10046 MANOR ROAD
15-JAN-09 Thornton Hough
Copley Cottages and attached estate wall
Estate workers' cottages for Copley estate, c.1866-68, rock-faced red sandstone, ashlar dressings, slate roof, decorative ridge crest, simplified Gothic style with Scottish baronial influences, 2-storeys.
PLAN: Situated to the right of the estate yard entrance. Appear externally as a single building with a double pile plan, two gables to front form no.1 Copley Cottages, rear gabled range parallel to Manor Road is no.2.
EXTERIOR: Recessed stone mullion windows with chamfered reveals containing 1-over-1 sashes, ashlar surrounds. Corbel table to eaves line. Distinct stone banding detail between floors to front and right side elevation. Front (W) elevation with two gabled bays (no.1), two stacks rising from roof behind. Main entrance doorway to ground floor right with lantern over and chamfered surround and lintel. Segmental pointed window to first floor. Left bay has 3-light window to ground floor and 2-light window to first floor. Converted outshut to left with inserted modern window, door and inserted window to left return. Blind rear elevation parallel to Manor Road except for inserted C20 window to ground floor right. 2-bay right side (S) elevation faces into yard entrance. Gabled right bay contains main entrance to no.2 in same style as that to front, with 4-panel door with relief panels, 3-light window to left, 2-light window above. Left bay (no.1) has 3-light window to ground floor. Rear gabled bay of no.2 with similarly detailed doorway. C20 partly glazed brick and timber porch, 3-light window to right (upper right sash with inserted vent), 2-light window to first floor (upper right sash replaced).
INTERIOR: Two rooms to each floor, two additional rooms in converted outshut to no.1. Original corner fireplaces to two ground floor rooms to right side; that to no.2 with segmental pointed opening. 4-panel doors, plain timber stairs (balusters covered over with plyboard to no.1 and possibly removed).
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: High estate boundary wall with copings attached to right (N) of rear elevation. Panelled timber pedestian gate and stone gate pier to yard entrance attached to left (S). (gate pier opposite attached to garage/potting shed range, original gates removed).
HISTORY: Copley was constructed c.1866-68 to the designs of an unknown architect as a private residence. It is believed to have been built for Stephen Williamson, Scottish Member of Parliament whose son, Archibald Williamson, later became Baron Forres in 1922. Copley was later bought by the 1st Viscount Leverhulme (who owned and lived in the neighbouring property Thornton Manor) largely for its land. The house (and associated lodge, cottages and outbuildings) and one of its fields were then subsequently re-sold. The house remained in private ownership until WWII when it became a corn exchange. In c.1947 the house and its associated buildings were bought by the 2nd Viscount Leverhulme. The buildings remain in residential use.
E Hubbard & N Pevsner, The Buildings of England Series: Cheshire (New Haven & London, 2003)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Copley Cottages and the attached estate wall are designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* They form a key component of the mid-Victorian country estate of Copley that retains its main house, stable and garage ranges, associated lodge and cottages, and gardens
* Their exterior is well detailed with recessed mullion windows and chamfered door surrounds, and maintains stylistic continuity with the other buildings on the estate including the main house
* Externally the cottages are very well preserved and the interiors retain some original features, such as two original fireplaces, plain timber stairs and their original plan layout
* The cottages have a strong visual, stylistic and functional relationship with the nearby main house and its attached ancillary ranges, and additional group value with Copley Lodge
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings