History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

K6 Telephone Kiosk

A Grade II Listed Building in Cockwood, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6169 / 50°37'0"N

Longitude: -3.4488 / 3°26'55"W

OS Eastings: 297599

OS Northings: 80686

OS Grid: SX975806

Mapcode National: GBR P3.7XW1

Mapcode Global: FRA 37NF.Q7M

Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk

Listing Date: 6 October 2009

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506793

Location: Dawlish, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Dawlish

Built-Up Area: Cockwood

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Cofton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Starcross

Listing Text

DAWLISH

367/0/10018 OUTSIDE ANCHOR INN
06-OCT-09 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK

II
K6 telephone kiosk

DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It is intact and in good condition (2009).

The kiosk is situated on the waterfront in the village of Cockwood, close to the mouth of the River Exe. It stands directly in front of the Anchor Inn (Grade II). Another listed building, Rock Cottage (Grade II) stands on the same stretch of waterfront towards the east.

HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Dawlish, Devon, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with two listed buildings
* It is situated in a setting of exceptional special interest
* It is a representative example within a waterside setting of this important C20 industrial design

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.