Latitude: 51.5196 / 51°31'10"N
Longitude: -0.0097 / 0°0'34"W
OS Eastings: 538186
OS Northings: 181954
OS Grid: TQ381819
Mapcode National: GBR KY.VM3
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.S27D
Plus Code: 9C3XGX9R+R4
Entry Name: Former Fire Station
Listing Date: 1 February 2010
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493811
Also known as: 30 Gillender Street E14 6RH
ID on this website: 101393719
Location: Bromley, Tower Hamlets, London, E14
County: London
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansbury
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Poplar
Church of England Diocese: London
Tagged with: Fire station
788/0/10201 GILLENDER STREET
01-FEB-10 25-38
Former Fire Station
II
Fire station, now studios and flats. 1909-11 by London County Council Architects' Department Fire Brigade Section, with some mid-C20 alterations and late-C20 conversion to studios. Drawings dated 1910 were signed by W.E. Reilly, superintending architect to the LCC at the time; the station may have been designed by W.E. Brooks, who was responsible for the very similar 1907 Tooting Fire Station. Romantic building in the lively eclectic style favoured by the Department in this period. Red brick with timber small-pane sashes and steep pitched tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys of accommodation over 3 ground floor appliance bays and office. Red brick in two shades, with three 3-storey canted oriels, rendered and painted white. Symmetrical facade of three parts: wider central section has oriel flanked by paired timber sashes, the upper 2 floors faced with glazed red brick, at the base of which are a pair of pilasters with rendered capitals and 4 small arches between; similar oriel and plain paired sashes bay to each side. Ground floor also of glazed brick, with 3 former engine ports that retain timber panelled and part-glazed doors, all under continuous rendered cornice and applied metal lettering in distinctive typeface: L.C.C. FIRE BRIGADE STATION A.D. 1910. Stone opening plaque between 2 right hand ports. Office to far right has replaced door set behind curved exaggerated rusticated sides and with deep advanced cornice under semicircular arch. Pitched tiled roof with deep eaves soffit and a pair of gables at each end. Prominent chimneys. Rear has pair of advanced stairtowers, one now with blocked in windows. Otherwise sash windows, and simple open-air railings.
HISTORY: Built as Brunswick Road Fire Station and opened in May 1911 at a cost of £10,428. Drawings are signed by Contractors were Messrs H.L. Holloway. The London Fire Brigade was expanded considerably following the Cripplegate fire of 1897. 43 new stations were opened between 1899 and 1914, and Brunswick Road is part of this campaign. Stone plaque reads: 'This station was opened by Jocelyn Brandon Esq. Chairman of the Fire Brigate Committee London County Council on May 19th 1911'
The former Brunswick Road (now Gillender Street) L.C.C. fire station of 1909-11 is listed as one of London's top rank early-C20 fire stations, similar to that of 1907 in Tooting (q.v.), and considering the capital's pre-eminence in fire station design, this endows it with historic interest. Although now converted, it retains its distinctive architecture, with elongated proportions emphasising the romantic qualities of the style, and strong municipal presence.
LCC fire station of 1910 considered one of the best from contextual research, and despite recent conversion it remains externally intact with its distinctive picturesque facade that successfully combines the formal qualities of the building type with a strong municipal presence.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings