History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gas lamp post between numbers 33 and 33a, Millington Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Newnham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1946 / 52°11'40"N

Longitude: 0.1046 / 0°6'16"E

OS Eastings: 543947

OS Northings: 257242

OS Grid: TL439572

Mapcode National: GBR L7G.98Q

Mapcode Global: VHHK8.R3NF

Entry Name: Gas lamp post between numbers 33 and 33a, Millington Road

Listing Date: 7 September 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506951

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

667/0/10192

MILLINGTON ROAD
Gas lamp post between numbers 33 and 33a

07-SEP-10

GV
II
Street lamp erected by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company,c.1889.

DESCRIPTION Made of cast iron to a design loosely based on the classical column, the lamp consists of a fluted shaft on circular base which is set on an octagonal plinth. The shaft tapers slightly before splaying out to form a plain banded capital. A simple four-sided lantern of metal and glass, crowned with a simple spike finial, rests upon four curved metal supports, and a ladder-rest projects from its base.

HISTORY Gas was introduced to Cambridge in about 1822 by John Grafton. He made gas from oil for street lighting in 1823, producing gas from coal a little later and finally moving his production site to the riverside for ease of coal delivery. An Act of 1834 converted his company to the Cambridge Gas-Light Company, which in 1867 became the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company. Gas production ceased on the riverside site in 1969 following the introduction of North Sea gas into Cambridge. Millington Road was built on land owned by King's College in 1889 and supplied with gas by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company soon after. The gas lamps are still supplied with gas and have remained in use to the present day.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The gas lamp post between Nos 33 and 33a Millington Road is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST
*It is an unusual example of a finely-detailed C19 gas lamp
INTACTNESS
*It is still lit by gas.
GROUP VALUE
*It forms part of an ensemble of ten other listable gas lamps of the same date and design in Millington Road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.