History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gas Lamp Post Outside Number 7

A Grade II Listed Building in Newnham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1954 / 52°11'43"N

Longitude: 0.1074 / 0°6'26"E

OS Eastings: 544136

OS Northings: 257333

OS Grid: TL441573

Mapcode National: GBR L7G.9ZD

Mapcode Global: VHHK8.T24V

Entry Name: Gas Lamp Post Outside Number 7

Listing Date: 7 September 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1394524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506948

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text


667/0/10189 MILLINGTON ROAD
07-SEP-10 Gas lamp post outside number 7

II
Street lamp erected by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company, c.1889.

DESCRIPTION
Made of cast iron to a design loosely based on the classical column, the lamp consists of a fluted shaft on a circular base which is set on an octagonal plinth. The shaft tapers slightly before splaying out to form a plain banded capital. A simple four-sided lantern of metal and glass, crowned with a simple spike finial, rests upon four curved metal supports, and a ladder-rest projects from its base.

HISTORY
Gas was introduced to Cambridge in about 1822 by John Grafton. He made gas from oil for street lighting in 1823, producing gas from coal a little later and finally moving his production site to the riverside for ease of coal delivery. An Act of 1834 converted his company to the Cambridge Gas-Light Company, which in 1867 became the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company. Gas production ceased on the riverside site in 1969 following the introduction of North Sea gas into Cambridge.

Millington Road was built on land owned by King's College in 1889 and supplied with gas by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company soon after. The gas lamps are still supplied with gas and have remained in use to the present day


REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The gas lamp post outside no.7 Millington Road, Cambridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST: This is an unusual example of a finely-detailed C19 gas lamp post
* It is still lit by gas.
* GROUP VALUE: It forms part of an ensemble of 10 other listable gas lamp posts of the same date and design in Millington Road.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The gas lamp post outside no.7 Millington Road, Cambridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST: This is an unusual example of a finely-detailed C19 gas lamp post
* It is still lit by gas.
* GROUP VALUE: It forms part of an ensemble of 10 other listable gas lamp posts of the same date and design in Millington Road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.