This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.483 / 51°28'58"N
Longitude: -0.1892 / 0°11'21"W
OS Eastings: 525836
OS Northings: 177556
OS Grid: TQ258775
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.QK
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.NZVJ
Plus Code: 9C3XFRM6+58
Entry Name: Tomb of Percy Lambert, Brompton Cemetery
Listing Date: 21 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1403350
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW10
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Redcliffe
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke, South Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
Monument to Percy Lambert, c.1914
MATERIALS: Marble with leaded lettering
A broken column with a bay leaf garland stands atop a three-stage pedestal, whose cubic middle stage is carved with a motor car wheel with broken spokes and air valve. Dedications to Lambert's immediate family are applied to the vertical sides of the cube and plinths. The epitaphs on the plinths to Lambert read, from top to bottom: 'A modest friend, a fine gentleman / and a thorough sportsman; The first man to cover one hundred miles in one hour / killed by accident at Brooklands motor racing track / whilst attempting further records October 31st 1913.'
Percy Lambert (1881-1913), son of Charles and Sarah, worked in the motor trade with his brother Harold Charles Lambert. He first raced at Brooklands in Surrey in 1910 and was a popular driver, winning several races. Brooklands was the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit, and staged the first official race in 1907. Lambert was the first person to set the record for driving one hundred miles in an hour on 15 February 1913 at Brooklands. A few months later, having promised his fiancée it would be his last attempt, he was killed trying to beat the record after a rear tyre disintegrated; the wheel with the broken spokes on his memorial aptly symbolises the tragedy.
Brompton Cemetery was one of the 'magnificent seven' privately-run burial grounds established in the 1830s and 1840s to relieve pressure on London's overcrowded churchyards. It was laid out in 1839-1844 to designs by the architect Benjamin B Baud, who devised a classical landscape of axial drives and vistas with rond-points at the intersections marked by mausolea or ornamental planting, the latter devised by Isaac Finnemore with advice from J C Loudon. The main Ceremonial Way culminates in a dramatic architectural ensemble recalling Bernini's piazza in front of St Peter's in Rome, with flanking colonnades curving outwards to form a Great Circle, closed at its southern end in a domed Anglican chapel (the planned Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were omitted for financial reasons). The cemetery, never a commercial success, was compulsorily purchased by the General Board of Health in the early 1850s, and has remained in state ownership ever since.
* Historic interest: commemorates Percey Lambert who broke speed records in the earliest years of motor racing at Brooklands, the world's first racing circuit, and poignantly recalls the ultimate dangers of the sport
* Design interest: the monument with its broken car wheel clearly refers to Lambert's occupation as well as to the manner of his deat
* Group value: with other listed tombs in the Grade I-registered Brompton Cemetery.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings