This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6132 / 50°36'47"N
Longitude: -3.4597 / 3°27'34"W
OS Eastings: 296819
OS Northings: 80290
OS Grid: SX968802
Mapcode National: GBR P3.875Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 37MG.5YY
Plus Code: 9C2RJG7R+74
Entry Name: Cofton War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 March 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1424477
Location: Dawlish, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Dawlish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cofton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
A war memorial cross of 1920 date, constructed of granite.
A war memorial cross of 1920 by Messrs. Knight and Sons (mason).
MATERIALS: constructed of coarsely dressed local granite.
DESCRIPTION: a square base surmounted by a shaft and wheel cross, and 2.85m in height. Three faces of the base have smooth panels. The east face has the text, TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE/ IMMORTAL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ COFTON/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1919/ MAY THEY REST IN PEACE. The north and south faces bear the name, regiment and year died of the fallen (11).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.
Cofton war memorial was dedicated and unveiled on 22 August 1920. It appears to be little altered since its first construction.
The war memorial in Cofton, Teignbridge, Devon is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
*`Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet refined cross design, well-crafted in stone;
* Intactness: the structure is unaltered;
* Group value: it makes a positive and important contribution to the churchyard and groups well with the neighbouring church of St Mary (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings