This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5403 / 52°32'25"N
Longitude: -2.8093 / 2°48'33"W
OS Eastings: 345210
OS Northings: 293916
OS Grid: SO452939
Mapcode National: GBR BG.F12H
Mapcode Global: VH75V.8D6X
Entry Name: Church Stretton War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1428235
Location: Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Church Stretton
Built-Up Area: Church Stretton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Church Stretton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
A town war memorial, unveiled by Major General Deverell and dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford on 13 October 1920.
A town war memorial, dedicated in 1920.
MATERIALS and PLAN: the limestone memorial takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross with tapered shaft rising from a rectangular base with sloping upper surface. The base is encased by inscribed marble plaques to its sides and upper surface. The limestone platform is flush with the surrounding grass and there is a low railing of late-C20 date to all sides. The memorial is set to the north-west of the town centre, on rising ground on the lower slopes of Bodbury Hill.
The south face of the monument has Celtic interlace decoration to the cross head, arms and upper shaft. The lower shaft has a sword carved in relief and cross and arms have cable mouldings to their edges. The north face of the cross is similar, with interlaced decoration to the upper body of the cross, but the panel to the lower body of the cross shaft is here inscribed ‘FORGET NOT / THE MEN / OF / CHURCH / STRETTON / WHO FOUGHT / FOR GOD / KING / AND COUNTRY / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919 / AND IN / THE SECOND / WORLD WAR / 1939 – 1945’. The flanks of the cross are blank. The base is inscribed on its south face with the words ‘INSCRIBED ARE THE NAMES / OF THOSE WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES’, and the flanks and north face bear names of the fallen, as do the marble plaques attached to the sloping upper surfaces of the base.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 19 January 2017.
The monument was unveiled by Major General Deverell and dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford on 13 October 1920.
Church Stretton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of the Celtic, wheel-head cross; the memorial has a powerful impression, set against rising ground and overlooking the town of Church Stretton.
Other nearby listed buildings