History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pennington Parish War Memorial Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Swarthmoor, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1813 / 54°10'52"N

Longitude: -3.1222 / 3°7'19"W

OS Eastings: 326855

OS Northings: 476749

OS Grid: SD268767

Mapcode National: GBR 6NM2.VW

Mapcode Global: WH72C.05HD

Entry Name: Pennington Parish War Memorial Cross

Listing Date: 24 September 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1429174

Location: Pennington, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Pennington

Built-Up Area: Swarthmoor

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Pennington St Michael and the Holy Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Lindal in Furness

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

The memorial stands on the north side of Ulverston Road, in a grassed area at the junction with the lane to Pennington. The sandstone memorial, c4m tall, consists of a plain Latin cross with chamfered arms and shaft. The shaft rises from a square, chamfered, plinth that stands on a four-stepped, square, base.

The principal inscription on the front face of the plinth reads 1914 – 1918/ +/ PENNINGTON/ MEMORIAL OF THE GREAT WAR/ FOR THE WORLD’S FREEDOM/ AND OF THE MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY/ SIMPLY TO THY CROSS I CLING. The inscription THEY SHALL BE HAD/ IN EVERLASTING/ REMEMBRANCE reads around the remaining three faces of the plinth, with the names of those who fell in the First World War listed below. In addition, a plaque attached to the front face of the top step of the base carries the inscription 1939 – 1945 (3 NAMES). A plaque attached to the step below carries the other four Second World War names. All of the inscriptions are incised.

History

Pennington Parish War Memorial Cross was unveiled on 9 October 1920 by Brigadier-General Garsford. It was raised to commemorate the 13 local servicemen who had died fighting during the First World War. Plaques commemorating those who fell in the Second World War were added to the base after the end of that conflict.

Reasons for Listing

Pennington Parish War Memorial Cross, situated in the village of Pennington, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a simple yet dignified war memorial in the manner of a wayside cross.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.