This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.477 / 53°28'37"N
Longitude: -1.4145 / 1°24'52"W
OS Eastings: 438956
OS Northings: 397964
OS Grid: SK389979
Mapcode National: GBR LXK7.KB
Mapcode Global: WHDD4.7VPV
Entry Name: Wentworth War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432141
Location: Wentworth, Rotherham, S62
Civil Parish: Wentworth
Built-Up Area: Wentworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wentworth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
War memorial 1922 commemorating the First World War and the Second World War.
War memorial commemorating the First World War and the Second World War. 1922 to design supplied by Sir Bache Cunard and constructed by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham. White Darley Dale stone.
PLAN: Celtic wheel cross set on a tall, tapering, octagonal shaft standing on a deep, octagonal double pedestal set on a wide, four-stepped octagonal base.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is set diagonally facing the angled junction of the B6090 and Hague Lane. It is constructed of smooth, ashlar stone blocks. The Celtic wheel cross is set on a tall, tapering, octagonal shaft. The front of the cross has roll-moulded edges with relief-carved interwoven Celtic patterns and a central boss. The upper section of the octagonal double pedestal carries the dedication in applied lead lettering TO THE / GLORIOUS DEAD WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY / 1914-1919. The left-hand face has the dates 1939 - / 1945. The lower, deeper section has the names of the men in applied lead lettering. The men who died in the First World War are listed on the front face and two flanking faces. The five names on the left-hand face are those who died in the Second World War. The pedestal stands on a wide octagonal base consisting of four steps.
The memorial stands in a small approximately triangular enclosure with a low, coursed stone wall with semi-circular coping to the rear and wrapping round the corners. In front is a curved, chamfered stone kerb flanked by two square piers with rounded caps. A wide, stone-flagged path leads to the memorial, which is bounded by an octagonal area of stone-flag paving.
Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that the chain fence with steel posts erected immediately behind the stone kerb is a 1990s replacement of the original chain fence removed in the 1940s and is not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.
In May 1919 a committee was formed to organise the erection of a local war memorial after a large public meeting at the Mechanics Institute in the village of Wentworth. The design for the memorial was received by Lady Fitzwilliam from Sir Bache Cunard and it was built by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham, using white Darley Dale stone. The cost was £300-£350. This was raised by subscription and the land on which it stands was a gift from Earl Fitzwilliam. The war memorial and the approximately triangular enclosure in which it stands are shown on the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map for Yorkshire published in 1930.
The memorial commemorated the 26 men from the village who died in the First World War. It was unveiled on 17th September 1922 by the Countess Fitzwilliam and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Sheffield (Dr Burrows). Subsequently the names of five men who lost their lives in the Second World War were added.
Wentworth War Memorial, 1922, to a design supplied to Lady Fitzwilliam by Sir Bache Cunard, constructed by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events upon an individual community, commemorating the 26 men from the small village of Wentworth who lost their lives fighting in the First World War, and subsequently the five men who died in the Second World War
* Design: a well-executed memorial in the form of a Celtic wheel cross set on a tall, tapering octagonal shaft, standing on a wide octagonal, stepped base
Other nearby listed buildings