This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.41 / 51°24'36"N
Longitude: -0.3061 / 0°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 517906
OS Northings: 169251
OS Grid: TQ179692
Mapcode National: GBR 78.ZFR
Mapcode Global: VHGR8.NT1F
Entry Name: Memorial Gates outside Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 April 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432596
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT1
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Grove
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints, Kingston-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
War memorial gates erected in 1924.
War Memorial gates erected in 1924.
MATERIALS: wrought and cast iron, set into the stone slabs of the churchyard.
DESCRIPTION: the symmetrical ensemble of gates, supporting piers and screen face south and form an entrance to the churchyard, with railings to either side facing east and west. The screen, gates and piers all have ornate scrolled panels and spear head dogbars at the base. Above the gates there is a segmental arched overthrow surmounted by scrolled finials and the East Surrey Regiment badge which is flanked by gilded, moulded leaves. The gates have four panels divided by a mid-rail enriched with scroll work, while the screen is embellished with rose emblems. Supporting the gates are two main piers with scrolled panels and finials surmounted by a gilded crown and cross. Two smaller piers define the edge of the southern face and provide support to the east and west flanking railings. There are two oval painted plaques attached to the front face of the screen with the dedications ‘THESE GATES WERE LARGELY THE GIFT OF THE 4th BATTALION EAST SURREY REGIMENT ON ITS DISBANDMENT’ to the left and ‘THESE GATES COMPLETE THE EAST SURREY WAR REGIMENT MEMORIAL 1914-1918 THE OTHER PART OF WHICH IS INSIDE THE CHURCH’ to the right.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.
Kingston upon Thames, historically in Surrey, was an important market town, port and river crossing from the early medieval period, while there is evidence of Saxon settlement and of activity dating from the prehistoric period and of Roman occupation. It is close to the important historic royal estates at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond and Richmond Park. The old core of the town, around the Church of All Saints (C14 and C15, on an earlier site) and Market Place, with its recognisably medieval street pattern, is ‘the best preserved of its type in outer London’ (Pevsner and Cherry, London: South, 1983 p. 307). Kingston thrived first as an agricultural and market town and on its historic industries of malting, brewing and tanning, salmon fishing and timber exporting, before expanding rapidly as a suburb after the arrival of the railway in the 1860s. In the later C19 it become a centre of local government, and in the early C20 became an important shopping and commercial centre. Its rich diversity of buildings and structures from all periods reflect the multi-facetted development of the town.
The East Surrey Regiment has long associations with Kingston, dating back to the period when county titles were introduced for regiments of infantry in 1782. The regiment received the title of 70th (Surrey) regiment and a depot was established at Kingston to recruit men from Surrey. In 1783 the 31st (Huntingdonshire) regiment and the 70th (Surrey) regiment were linked together into 47 sub-district brigade at the depot in Kingston where all recruits were then trained. The memorial gates were largely a gift from the East Surrey Regiment 4th Battalion on disbandment. They were erected in 1924 to complete the commemoration of those from the regiment who had fallen in the First World War. They are associated with a memorial plaque and chapel within the Church of All Saints.
The gates were unveiled on Armistice Sunday, 9th November 1924 by the Bishop of Kingston, Dr Herbert. The regiment was represented by Major General Sir John Raynsford Longley KCMG CB, who was the Colonel of the East Surrey Regiment from 1920 to 1939. Longley saw service in the Boer War as Kitchener's Adjutant, and commanded the 1st East Surreys in August 1914, fighting at Mons, Le Cateau, the Marne, the Aisne, La Bassée and Armentiéres.
The War Memorial gates, Kingston, of 1924, are listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the ultimate sacrifice made by so many from the Kingston area, particularly the East Surrey Regiment, in the First World War;
* Group value: placed between the Church of All Saints (Grade I) and the Market House (Grade II*) and symbolically connected with the nearby Kingston War Memorial (Grade II);
* Design: impressive and carefully formed iron memorial gates embellished with the East Surrey regimental badge.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings