This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9615 / 52°57'41"N
Longitude: 0.0263 / 0°1'34"E
OS Eastings: 536200
OS Northings: 342384
OS Grid: TF362423
Mapcode National: GBR KY2.7H0
Mapcode Global: WHHLR.CTRH
Entry Name: Fishtoft War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433499
Location: Fishtoft, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE21
Civil Parish: Fishtoft
Built-Up Area: Fishtoft
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Fishtoft St Guthlac
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: Fishtoft War Memorial stands within a fenced area to the south-east of Fishtoft Playing Fields, adjacent to Fishtoft Road. It is constructed of local Clipsham stone in the form of a spired obelisk with a cross on the top, similar in design to war memorials by the same masons at Stickney and East Kirkby.
The memorial stands on a concrete platform and has an octagonal two-stepped base, with an additional prism-shaped stone set against the top step on the southern side for the Second World War inscription. Rising from the base is a four-sided plinth with canted top, on which stands the obelisk. The obelisk, square on plan, has octagonal columns against the four corners, each with an elaborate foliate capital, supporting a moulded arch forming a blind arcade to each side of the plinth. Rising from this is a tapering four-sided spire, topped by a foliate capital and a plain Latin cross.
The memorial includes the names of both those who died in the First World War, inscribed in black lettering on the southern face of the obelisk, and also those who served and returned, inscribed on the remaining three faces.
(south face) TO THE GLORY OF GOD &/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO LAID/ DOWN THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ (11 NAMES)/ WOUNDED AND DISABLED/ (6 NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS/ FRIENDS”.
On the other three faces the inscription reads IN/ HONOUR OF THOSE WHO/ ALSO SERVED (NAMES). The Second World War inscription reads ALSO TO THOSE WHO MADE THE/ SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE SECOND/ WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ (7 NAMES).
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A wrought iron basket* is attached to the base on the eastern side of the memorial.
* Pursuant to S.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
Fishtoft War Memorial was unveiled on 5 June 1920. It was constructed by the local memorial masons Messrs Browning and Sons of Spilsby, at a cost of c£250. The unveiling was attended by relatives, parishioners, local dignitaries, ex-servicemen and local clergy. An address was given by Major OB Giles. The memorial commemorates not only those 11 local servicemen who died during the First World War but also those six who were wounded and disabled, and the surviving 67 who served.
An additional stone was added to the memorial to include the names of those six men and one woman who died during the Second World War. In 2010 Fishtoft Parish council funded repair work of £5,500, which included re-lettering, cleaning and minor repairs to cracks in the stonework.
Fishtoft War Memorial, which stands on Fishtoft Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall and ornate memorial cross.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings