This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.0563 / 50°3'22"N
Longitude: -5.6622 / 5°39'43"W
OS Eastings: 137968
OS Northings: 23774
OS Grid: SW379237
Mapcode National: GBR DXDJ.P6Y
Mapcode Global: VH05M.TV07
Plus Code: 9C2P384Q+G4
Entry Name: St Levan War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439761
Location: St. Levan, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Levan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Levan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A war memorial cross of 1921 date.
A war memorial cross of 1921, restored in the C21.
MATERIALS: of dressed granite.
DESCRIPTION: a Celtic wheel cross with a tapering pedestal and base. The pedestal has a metal plaque on the front face, inscribed in white enamelled lettering: THESE MEN OF ST LEVAN/ WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE INSCRIBED/ GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR FREEDOM AND/ HONOUR IN THE TWO GREAT WORLD WARS/ 1914-18 1939-45/ 1914-18/(NAMES)/ 1939-45/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The memorial stands on a concrete base with low posts and metal railings.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The war memorial is to the men of St Levan who fell in the First World War (the names of the fallen in the Second World War were added later) and was unveiled by Brigadier General Lord St Levan C.B., C.V.O on 31 July 1921. It was restored in the early C21.
The memorial stands opposite Little Trethewey Wesleyan Chapel (Grade II*).
St Levan War Memorial, of 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-crafted cross design in dressed granite.
Other nearby listed buildings