This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3971 / 51°23'49"N
Longitude: -0.0797 / 0°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 533686
OS Northings: 168204
OS Grid: TQ336682
Mapcode National: GBR HP.NLG
Mapcode Global: VHGRL.K4QS
Entry Name: War Memorial at the Church of Holy Innocents
Listing Date: 27 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442659
Location: Croydon, London, SE25
London Borough Ward: South Norwood
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: South Norwood Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
First World War memorial in the form of a stone Celtic cross, unveiled in 1922.
Stone Celtic cross, resting on a trapezoidal plinth on top of a stone base. The front of the plinth bears the inscription: IN MEMORY OF OUR COMRADES / WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / ST MARKS COY, NO. 969 / CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE / K.R.R.C. CADETS / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVER / R.I.P. The right and left faces bear the names of the Fallen.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 3 March 2017.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendmentment on 13/09/2017
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was raised in South Norwood outside Holy Innocents Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was made by Ebutt and Sons and unveiled on 19 November 1922 in a ceremony attended by Colonel Hugh Lawrence CMG.
The War Memorial at the Church of Holy Innocents is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the First World War;
* Design: as a simple yet dignified stone Celtic cross war memorial;
* Group value: with the Church of Holy Innocents (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings