This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3749 / 52°22'29"N
Longitude: -2.0105 / 2°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 399379
OS Northings: 275202
OS Grid: SO993752
Mapcode National: GBR 2FM.2HV
Mapcode Global: VH9ZF.3KGS
Plus Code: 9C4V9XFQ+WQ
Entry Name: Lickey War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 July 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1445986
Location: Lickey and Blackwell, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B45
Civil Parish: Lickey and Blackwell
Built-Up Area: Barnt Green
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Stone cross war memorial, erected 1919.
Gabled cross of Portland stone, with a detailed sculpture of Christ replete with INRI scroll. This rests on an octagonal pillar atop a plinth, the right and left faces of which bear the names of the Fallen, whilst the front face bears the inscription: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS / PARISH WHO FELL IN / THE GREAT WAR / "GREATER LOVE HATH / NO MAN THAN THIS". The plinth rests on a stone platform, the front of which bears a stone panel with the inscription: 1939 - 1945 / (names). The whole is set on a small area of paving in a grassed area.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 July 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in Lickey as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by the Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts and erected 2 November 1919 after a year's design consultation, and paid for by voluntary donations. The memorial was originally located in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church opposite, however soon after its erection controversy arose as the Vicar of Holy Trinity had not applied for Faculty from the Diocesan authorities to erect it on consecrated ground; there was also opposition to the design, which some local people deemed idolatrous or superstitious. The Diocese of Birmingham agreed to have the memorial moved, but to keep the design; the Earl of Plymouth granted land nearby for this purpose. This occurred in 1949 with the support of the British Legion and local church authorities, when the Second World War inscription was also added.
Lickey War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple yet dignified stone cross war memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings