This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.055 / 51°3'18"N
Longitude: 0.1651 / 0°9'54"E
OS Eastings: 551834
OS Northings: 130637
OS Grid: TQ518306
Mapcode National: GBR MQM.SNP
Mapcode Global: FRA C67B.G39
Plus Code: 9F323548+22
Entry Name: Crowborough War Memorial
Listing Date: 1 June 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1447190
Location: Crowborough, Wealden, East Sussex, TN6
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Crowborough
Built-Up Area: Crowborough
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Crowborough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
First and Second World War memorial. Erected 1920 with the names of the Fallen of the Second World War added after 1945.
First World War memorial. Erected in 1920. Architect unknown.
MATERIALS: Portland stone obelisk, sandstone wall and granite tablets.
DESCRIPTION: Crowborough War Memorial comprises a four metre tall Portland stone obelisk mounted on a square, stepped plinth. The obelisk and plinth sits within a semi-circular sandstone wall, on which 12 granite tablets bearing the roll of honour are mounted. There is a stone laurel wreath in relief on the front of the obelisk.
The plinth is inscribed: IN / PROUD AND GRATEFUL / MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / CROWBOROUGH AND DISTRICT / WHO DIED / IN THE DEFENCE / OF THEIR COUNTRY / 1914-1919 / ERECTED BY / PARENTS AND FRIENDS / “THE SOULS OF THE RIGHTEOUS / ARE IN THE HAND OF GOD”.
The 6 tablets to the west of the obelisk are inscribed with the names of 191 servicemen from the First World War; the 6 to the east are dedicated to the fallen from the Second World War. The tablets on each end are blank, with the middle four being inscribed: 1939 - 1945 / ROYAL NAVY/
The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Crowborough as permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Following the First World War, it was decided that a memorial would be set up in the Crowborough War Memorial hospital. In April 1920 the Reverend Samuel Fisher Akroyd offered the local war committee the site of Chapel Green and the existing memorial fund was divided and part of it was spent on the monument that stands outside of the church today.
The memorial was unveiled on 15 August 1920, with over 1,000 people present. A short ceremony was held with the ‘Comrades of the Great War’ marching to the site headed by the Crowborough Silver Band. The vicar unveiled the monument whilst the buglers of the Royal Engineers sounded the Last Post with wreaths being laid in remembrance.
There was a later addition of names to the tablets of servicemen who gave their lives in the Second World War.
Crowborough War Memorial, erected in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a tall Portland stone obelisk set within a semi-circular sandstone wall;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Church of All Saints and Vicarage.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings