This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4589 / 51°27'31"N
Longitude: -0.0807 / 0°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 533436
OS Northings: 175067
OS Grid: TQ334750
Mapcode National: GBR HK.VQ6
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.KL5H
Plus Code: 9C3XFW59+GP
Entry Name: Southwark Military Hospital War Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 18 October 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1449922
Location: Southwark, London, SE22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Dulwich
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
First World War memorial cross.
MATERIALS: Carrara marble.
DESCRIPTION: the marble war memorial cross stands in the grounds of the former Dulwich Hospital. It comprises a Latin crosslet cross rising from a collar on a tall shaft, octagonal in section. The collar takes the form of a blind arcade. The shaft rises from a square plinth with recessed panels on each face, standing on a two-stepped, octagonal, base.
The incised inscriptions are located within the recessed panels on the plinth. The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face reads TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE NON-COMMISSIONED/ OFFICERS AND MEN/ OF THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE/ WHO DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR/ IN THIS HOSPITAL/ DURING THE GREAT WAR/ 1915 – 1919. The commemorated names are recorded on the remaining faces of the plinth.
During the First World War the number of existing hospital beds became insufficient for the large number of casualties requiring treatment in the UK. As a temporary measure the War Office sought to use some Poor Law Infirmaries to assist with the situation. The Southwark Union Infirmary (1885-1887 by Henry Jarvis, unlisted) was the first such institution in London to be evacuated and handed over for war casualties.
The infirmary was taken over in November 1915 by the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC). At this time, it was renamed the Southwark Military Hospital. The existing hospital staff were retained and augmented with nurses from the Voluntary Aid Detachment and RAMC personnel. The number of beds was increased to 820, with tents erected in the grounds. British and Empire troops were treated, including American soldiers. The hospital was returned to civilian service in April 1919.
The Southwark Guardians erected a war memorial cross in front of the hospital to commemorate the 119 troops who died there. Some 12,522 wounded and sick men had been cared for. During the 1950s the cross was dismantled while the hospital entrance road was being redeveloped, and stored at Grove Park Hospital. The cross and shaft were subsequently lost. Southwark Primary Care Trust and the Dulwich Society led a project to restore the memorial and in 2009, with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust, a replacement cross and shaft base were made based on historical photographs. The shaft was fixed onto the original plinth and steps which were set into new foundations, in a new position about 20m to the east of its original location.
The Southwark Military Hospital War Memorial Cross, which stands outside the former Dulwich Hospital, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the contribution made on the Home Front during the First World War.
* a tall and elegant marble memorial cross.
Other nearby listed buildings