This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4607 / 51°27'38"N
Longitude: -0.0721 / 0°4'19"W
OS Eastings: 534031
OS Northings: 175285
OS Grid: TQ340752
Mapcode National: GBR WZ.YK
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.PKR3
Entry Name: Dulwich Leisure Centre
Listing Date: 27 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470908
Location: Southwark, London, SE22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Dulwich
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: East Dulwich St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3475 EAST DULWICH ROAD
636-1/13/324 (South side)
Dulwich Leisure Centre
Public baths and wash houses, converted to leisure centre.
1890-1892. By Spalding and Cross. Red brick with stone
dressings. Tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. Queen Anne
EXTERIOR: symmetrical composition comprising centre of 7 bays
and wings of 2 windows each. Central hipped section has clock
tower, clock face with apron below and curved open pediment
above and octagonal cupola with weathervane. 2 gabled dormers.
Bracket eaves cornice and panel with lettering "Dulwich Public
1st-floor windows are sashes without glazing bars flanked by
paired, fluted and rusticated pilasters to central section.
Ground floor has wide cornice with 2 shell-moulded hoods above
2 central double doorcases. Right side wing has 2 sashes to
ground floor. Left side wing has 1 sash and 1 pedimented
doorcase. 2 flights of steps to street.
INTERIOR: has to hall staircase with cast-iron supports,
elaborate cast-iron newel post and mahogany handrail. Former
large bath (now sports hall) has ornate cast-iron balustrade
with arched supports above. A suspended ceiling has been
inserted but the original roof survives above. Small bath has
10 bays of arched braced construction and renewed cubicles.
Warm baths survive with original fittings.
Listing NGR: TQ3403175285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings