History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blaisdon War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaisdon, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8511 / 51°51'3"N

Longitude: -2.4338 / 2°26'1"W

OS Eastings: 370214

OS Northings: 217030

OS Grid: SO702170

Mapcode National: GBR FY.TJXF

Mapcode Global: VH86S.RQPV

Entry Name: Blaisdon War Memorial

Listing Date: 26 January 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1452971

Location: Blaisdon, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Blaisdon

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1920.

Description

First World War memorial, erected in 1920.

MATERIALS: constructed of roughly-hewn granite, with black metal lettering.

DESCRIPTION: located in an elevated position at the road junction between Velthouse Lane and Blaisdon Lane, and opposite the entrance lodge to Blaisdon Hall, the war memorial comprises a crusaders’ cross with four round holes to the cross head and the carved hilt of a crusader’s sword (the blade is no longer extant), surmounted on a rounded rectangular base, with a two-stepped plinth.

The front (north-east) face of the base is recessed and has the inscription IN MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-1918. Beneath are the names of the seven men who died in the First World War, followed by the quotation “LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND, WE FOR ENGLAND DIED.” On the top step of the plinth is the quotation “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”.

A polished granite plaque has been added to the bottom step, and is inscribed, 1939 – 1945 with the names of the five men of the parish who died in the Second World War.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to the front of the war memorial is a stone retaining wall, and to the sides and rear are metal railings.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Blaisdon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Blaisdon War Memorial was unveiled by Mrs MacIver of Blaisdon Hall (Grade II*) on 6 June 1920 and dedicated by the Rector of the Church of St Michael and All Angels (Grade II). It commemorates the men of the parish who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War an additional plaque was added.

Reasons for Listing

Blaisdon War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* an accomplished and well-executed war memorial which takes the form of a crusader’s cross.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* for its relationship with Blaisdon Hall (Grade II*), the Church of St Michael and All Angels (Grade II), and Spring Cottage (Grade II).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.