This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.278 / 52°16'40"N
Longitude: 1.6258 / 1°37'32"E
OS Eastings: 647430
OS Northings: 270626
OS Grid: TM474706
Mapcode National: GBR YXX.3W5
Mapcode Global: VHM7K.40CG
Plus Code: 9F437JHG+68
Entry Name: Dunwich War Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 9 March 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1453704
Location: Dunwich, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP17
Civil Parish: Dunwich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
First World War memorial granite cross, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in a prominent roadside location beside Westleton Road, opposite the Church of St James (Grade II) and the remains of All Saints' Church (Grade II). It comprises a grey granite wheel-head cross bearing a reversed sword on its front face, standing on a tapering plinth with a single-stepped base. The memorial is approached from the road by a short flight of steps, made of blocks of grey granite.
The principal dedicatory inscription in applied metal lettering to the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF/ (10 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR JUSTICE AND RIGHT/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914–1918./ THEY LOVED NOT THEIR LIVES UNTO THE DEATH/ (1 NAME). The commemorated names are recorded with regiment or Service, and date of death.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Dunwich as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 16 May 1920. The name of one parishioner who died during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.
Dunwich War Memorial Cross, which stands opposite the Church of St James, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a simple yet poignant granite wheel-head cross, in the Celtic style.
* with the Church of St James and the Remains of All Saints' Church 25 metres South of Church of St James (both Grade II-listed).
Other nearby listed buildings