This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9724 / 52°58'20"N
Longitude: -1.0153 / 1°0'55"W
OS Eastings: 466220
OS Northings: 342123
OS Grid: SK662421
Mapcode National: GBR 9JW.N3N
Mapcode Global: WHFHZ.CKR5
Plus Code: 9C4WXXCM+XV
Entry Name: Shelford War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 June 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1454916
Location: Shelford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Shelford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: Shelford War Memorial is set in a gravelled area and consists of a stone wheel-head cross with a total height of 4m. The cross stands on a tapering shaft which stands on a tapering plinth. The north, west and eastern faces of the plinth have incised inscriptions. The plinth stands on a three-stepped square base. The northern face of the plinth is incised with 12 names of the First World War in black letters in one column. Below on the top step of the base is incised GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
The eastern face of the plinth is incised with ERECTED BY THE/ PARISHIONERS OF SHELFORD/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ AND HONOUR TO THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919.
The western face of the plinth is incised with 1939 – 45 below which is one name.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Shelford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
In 1920 in response to the losses of the First World War the Shelford and Newton Parish Councils were given land from the Earl of Caernarvon to erect a memorial to the servicemen who had fallen in war. The land had formerly been used as the village pinfold. The area is enclosed by a brick wall to the south and iron railings to the north.
The total cost of the memorial was £170 and work in carting and erecting materials and fencing was carried out voluntarily by parishioners. The memorial lists the names of 12 servicemen from the villages of Shelford, Newton and Saxondale who fell in the First World War and it was unveiled by Major Cecil Godfrey MC of Carlton on 11 July 1920.
The name of one who fell in the Second World War has been added to the memorial. There are two wooden plaques in the nearby Church of St Peter and St Paul dedicated to the servicemen of Shelford detailing names of all who served.
Shelford War Memorial, which is prominently sited at a road junction in Shelford, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* an elegant design of a tall stone wheel-head cross.
Other nearby listed buildings