This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5339 / 54°32'2"N
Longitude: -2.3904 / 2°23'25"W
OS Eastings: 374832
OS Northings: 515475
OS Grid: NY748154
Mapcode National: GBR CJR0.8H
Mapcode Global: WH937.79YK
Entry Name: Warcop War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 September 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1457762
Location: Warcop, Eden, Cumbria, CA16
Civil Parish: Warcop
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1920.
MATERIALS: sandstone; bronze.
DESCRIPTION: Warcop War Memorial is located on a triangular green at the junction of the B6259, Brookside and Castlehill Road, Warcop, Cumbria. It is prominently situated in the heart of Warcop. It comprises a sandstone obelisk on a moulded plinth bearing bronze inscription panels, on a two-tiered base, within a low kerbed square area with small wooden posts and chains surrounding. A laurel wreath is carved at the head of the obelisk, and a sword and rifle are carved at the base, below the inscriptions.
The inscription reads: 1914 – 18/ PARISH OF WARCOP/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)// WHO DIES IF ENGLAND LIVE.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Warcop as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Warcop War Memorial was situated on a village green in the heart of the settlement. The memorial commemorates 53 local servicemen who served and 11 who fell in the First World War and five men who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was made by the prolific local monumental masons, Messrs Beattie and Co. of Carlisle. It cost £155 and it was unveiled in 1920 by General Sir Arthur Wynne, KCB.
Warcop War Memorial, which is situated on a triangular green at the junction of the B6259, Brookside and Castlehill Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as a simple but well-executed sandstone obelisk.
* with the Grade II-listed The Fox with Barn and Garage Adjoining, and a Grade II-listed Maypole.
Other nearby listed buildings