History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Episcopal Church Of St Finnan, Kinlochmoidart

A Category C Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7902 / 56°47'24"N

Longitude: -5.7507 / 5°45'2"W

OS Eastings: 171027

OS Northings: 772789

OS Grid: NM710727

Mapcode National: GBR DB5S.4MZ

Mapcode Global: WH0DH.MLRF

Plus Code: 9C8PQ6RX+3P

Entry Name: Episcopal Church Of St Finnan, Kinlochmoidart

Listing Name: Kinlochmoidart, Episcopal Church of St Finnan

Listing Date: 23 June 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330527

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB316

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arisaig and Moidart

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Parish: Arisaig And Moidart

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Acharacle

Description

Alexander Ross, 1858-60, with vestry (also A Ross) 1886. Simple rectangular church, nave and slightly lower chancel orientated east/west. All grey rubble with contrasting tooled sandstone dressings. Projecting gabled porch with pointed headed entrance approached by flight of steps at southwest. The nave and chancel south elevation are lit by 3 small pointed headed lancet windows with 2 similar in the west gable. A triple lancet lights the east gable of chancel. There are apex crosses at the east of the nave and chancel and also porch. There is a small bellcote at the west apex. There is a steeply pitched slate roof with crowsteps. Small lean-to vestry (1886) at north of chancel.

Interior; plain interior; pointed-headed arch to chancel; painted altar front; wrought-iron communion rails; stained glass in east windows commemorating founders of church; Gothic panelled pulpit; simple square stone font.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was founded by William and Sarah MacDonald Robertson of Kinlochmoidart House. William McDonald Robertson had married Sarah Adams, daughter of James Beck, at Allersley Park, Warwickshire on 19 April 1828. The church has various mural memorials to the Stewarts, also of Kinlochmoidart House.

In the south wall there are two brightly coloured stained glass windows (The Annunciation of the Shepherds and The Cricifixion) by Jemima Blackburn, in around 1859 and 1873.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.