History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinlochmoidart House

A Category A Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7868 / 56°47'12"N

Longitude: -5.7406 / 5°44'26"W

OS Eastings: 171624

OS Northings: 772384

OS Grid: NM716723

Mapcode National: GBR DB6S.99G

Mapcode Global: WH0DH.SPK0

Plus Code: 9C8PQ7P5+PQ

Entry Name: Kinlochmoidart House

Listing Name: Kinlochmoidart House

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330528

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB317

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arisaig and Moidart

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Parish: Arisaig And Moidart

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Acharacle

Description

William Leiper, 1884. Tall, Scottish Baronial mansion,
asymmetrical in plan and elevations, 2-storeys of varying
height and part with attic, over raised basement. All grey
rubble with contrasting tooled and polished red standstone
ashlar dressings.
Principal long elevations east/west; wide asymmetrical east
entrance front with main entrance in shallow SE gable, centre
projecting gable rising into attic storey above principal
roofline, and further NW projecting gabled service wing.
Raised ground floor entrance approached by balustraded
flight of steps; reeded pilastered and corniced doorpiece,
with crest and inscription in panel above; double leaf
panelled door. Secondary entrance to right; asymmetrical
window composition, including 3 linked and stepped diminutive
stair lights with shouldered lintels, large round-headed
transomed and mullion stair window, and canted transomed
oriel in raised ground floor supported by engaged and
chamfered pilaster. Each window treated differently, with
square or moulded segmental headed lintels with masked or
floreated roundels, monograms CES (Charles Edward Stuart) and
initials RS and MS.
3-bay south gable lit by varying long mullioned and transomed
windows (lighting drawing and dining rooms). Long west
elevation with semi-circular drum tower lit by 4-light
windows in raised ground and 1st floors, culminating in low
attic storey and facetted conical roof. Corbelled
bartizan at angle of shallow projecting centre gabled range,
also with conical roof, linked to NW angle drum tower,
rising full height, and linked to low single storey service
range to north. Varied glazing; multi-pane upper sashes;
mainly multi-pane glazing in raised basement, some east
elevation windows glazed with small decorative leaded
geometric panes.
Cill and lintel bands link window groupings; decorative
corbelled detailing; moulded eaves cornice; corniced apex,
ridge and end stacks; slate roofs.
Interior; small entrance lobby serves main door, with
panelled flight of stairs leading to main hall which is wood
panelled throughout and from which staircase rises to first
floor through ornate wooden screen; turned newels with Ionic
capitals, turned wooden balusters and moulded wooden
handrail.
Drawing room; moulded ribbed detailing to plaster ceiling;
panelled dado; deep bowed window seat; original carved wood
chimney piece with small paired engaged flanking columns
with Ionic capitals, paired lion's masks and foliated relief
decoration to lintel. Dining room; original carved wooden
chimney piece in inglenook; original wallpaper, and original
stencilled decoration incorporating initials RS and MS.
One 1st floor bedroom with original built-in bath and
built-in cupboard and drawers. Master bedroom also with
original fitted cupboards and drawers. Service quarters;
kitchen and kitchen passages retain original brown and white
decorative tiling.

Statement of Interest

On site of earlier house. Dated 1884 and initialled RS and

MS for builders, Robert Stewart and his wife, and now owned

by great grand-daughter. Prince Charles Edward stayed at

Kinlochmoidart as guest of MacDonald family, 11-17 Aug

1745. That house burnt soon after by Cumberland's troops.

Plaque above main entrance inscribed "Pax entrabus salus

exeuntibus". Water generated power and refigeration said to

be original to 1884 building. Fine site in wooded glen

opening onto Loch Moidart.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.