This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8748 / 55°52'29"N
Longitude: -2.973 / 2°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 339218
OS Northings: 665052
OS Grid: NT392650
Mapcode National: GBR 70PH.4W
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.9LJP
Entry Name: Tyne Bridge
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331155
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB747
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Charles Abercromby, 1805. High single-span bridge with parapet and curved wing-walls. Dressed ashlar.
S & N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: single semi-circular span, ashlar voussoirs, dentils with parapet above (inset date stone), slab coping; slightly projecting support walls to flanks of span with square details, curved wing walls to each side.
This bridge crosses the Tyne near the Lion's Gate of Prestonhall. The bridge was built at the same time as its sister bridge, Cranstoun Bridge (part of the Oxenfoord Estate and listed separately). They were built in 1805, as part of improvements to the roads in Midlothian. It was the work of the Convenor of Roads and Highways - James Clerk, Esq of Chester Hall (a now demolished mansion / country house abutting the Oxenfoord policies to the west of the main road, near what is now called Chester Hill or Edgehead). The architect for the scheme was Charles Abercromby. The height of its single arch is 29ft but it has an overall "altitude" (including its parapet at 4ft high) of 42ft. The straight portion of the parapet measures 38ft, with flanking walls of 16ft each. It is sited where the old ford used to be found. This bridge services the road between Oxenfoord and Prestonhall (where at one time the manse for old Cranstoun Church once stood, it was moved as it was felt to be too near to the estate buildings). Cranstoun as a village ceased to exist, as did its earlier church - which was rebuilt in the early 1800s in it current position. The Lothian Bridge became the most prominent bridge over the Tyne in the area, forming an early by-pass for the estates. It still carries the main A68 road whilst these two bridges, although admired at their time of construction, have become largely forgotten.
Other nearby listed buildings