This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8718 / 55°52'18"N
Longitude: -2.9777 / 2°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 338921
OS Northings: 664719
OS Grid: NT389647
Mapcode National: GBR 70NJ.4Z
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.7PB0
Plus Code: 9C7VV2CC+PW
Entry Name: South Lodge, Oxenfoord Castle
Listing Name: Oxenfoord Policies, South Lodge Including Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 28 September 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338299
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6638
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably William Burn, circa 1840. Single storey, gabled, Picturesque T-plan lodge with Tudor details; porch in re-entrant angle. Stugged sandstone ashlar; chamfered arrises; tall, moulded, polygonal and corniced stacks.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: basket-arched doorway in gabled stone porch in re-entrant angle, narrow window to left return, adjoining main house to right return; main house: recessed bay to left with curved outshot chimney with sawtooth coping rising into pedestalled wallhead stack, blank shield motif on panelled pedestal and 2 individually moulded stacks; broad gabled bay to right of porch with corniced canted window and blocking course.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: catslide projection in re-entrant angle to right; blank gable to left with window to right return, later lean-to to left return.
S ELEVATION: gabled end with projecting tripartite window to ground floor, corbelled wallhead above with blind arrowslit detail.
N ELEVATION: later single storey harled lean-to addition concealing original elevation, modern timber door to right return.
2-pane and 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to most, fixed diamond quarry panes to side. Gabled grey slate roof with zinc ridging and decorative timber barge boarding to each gable. Concealed painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Further pair of fluted stacks, one barley sugar, bridge linked on pedestal to centre of roof. Felted flat roof on rear extension with harled stack.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: stugged ashlar wall to S with corniced coping. 3 polygonal, ashlar gatepiers to drive and pedestrian gate with studded neck detail and corniced caps bearing armorial shield facetted blocks. Decorative 2 cast-iron gates to drive, single pedestrian gate. Semi-circular-coped rubble walls to W and N with squat, corniced ashlar pier at junction.
Part of an A-group with Oxenfoord Castle, Middle Lodge, North Lodge, etc. Situated about a mile from the North Lodge, the South Lodge was described by the Rev. John Dickson as a "beautiful little residence" in the early 20th century. Unlike the other lodges, whose designs resemble parts of the castle, this design takes its inspiration from Elizabethan architecture and is stylistically linked to Cranstoun Riddel, the former residence of Lord Stair's factor. The most outstanding features of the lodge are its ornate chimneys. As William Burn was working on the estate from 1840 and the style of the lodge echoes others by him, the attribution to Burn is likely. The North Lodge and Middle Lodge are listed separately.