We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8697 / 55°52'10"N
Longitude: -2.9825 / 2°58'57"W
OS Eastings: 338614
OS Northings: 664497
OS Grid: NT386644
Mapcode National: GBR 70MK.2Q
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.5Q0K
Plus Code: 9C7VV298+VX
Entry Name: Woodlands, Ford
Listing Name: Ford Village, Woodlands (Formerly Old U.p. Manse), Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331158
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB749
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200331158
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Tagged with: Manse
1836. 2-storey, 3-bay square plain manse with later 2-storey extension to rear and converted rubble outbuildings. Stugged ashlar with long and short quoins to W and S, random rubble to E and N; projecting ashlar sills and base course. Brick extension to right rear lean-to.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 stone steps leading to panelled timber door with multi pane rectangular fanlight above; projecting architraved stone surround with canopy and pediment supported by pilasters, squared brass door bell on right pilaster; window flanking; 3 regularly placed bays with projecting sills to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: glazed French doors with 2-pane fanlight above to ground floor right leading onto later paved walled terrace; window with projecting base sill to 1st floor left and right; wallhead chimney with stone neck cope to centre.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey rubble lean-to to ground floor off centre left, window to left return; blind wall to 1st floor of main house, ground floor concealed between extensions; 2-storey extension (ground floor ashlar, 2nd floor added later in brick) to off centre right, entrance door with small rectangular widow to left on right return, lowered wallhead stack; single bay to both storeys to far right.
W ELEVATION: blind wall with single window to ground floor right, later small timber lean-to with double doors off centre left; wallhead stack with sloping base quoins and projecting neck copes to centre.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to most. Piended grey slate roof with zinc ridging; pantiled roof to outbuildings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. 4 replacement cans to each stack.
INTERIOR: glazed and timber panelled interior hallway door; cornicing and timber shuttering.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: random rubble and ashlar block walls with shaped stone copes. Pair of cylindrical ashlar gatepiers with rounded cushion capitals. Painted wrought-iron gates with moulded tops to the bars.
Sited on a bank on the outskirts of Ford village, the former manse overlooked what was the old road to Lauder. It was built to house the minister of Ford Church, situated around 200 yards away. Built in 1836, it cost ?500. It was one of three manses within a few miles of each other. The first minister to live here was Andrew Elliot (1818-1855) who doubled the church attendance in Ford. Originally on his way to Annan, his horse became lame forcing him to stop his journey. Instead of continuing onwards, he stayed and became Ford's minister. One of the foremost men in the Secession Church, he died at the manse in 1855. May 1949 saw the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland instruct the Presbytery of Dalkeith to unite the congregations, Ford and Crichton manses were sold when the three churches unified. Cranston which was upgraded and remained as the Parish manse, whilst the other two became private houses.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings