This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8469 / 55°50'48"N
Longitude: -2.9833 / 2°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 338530
OS Northings: 661960
OS Grid: NT385619
Mapcode National: GBR 70LT.XW
Mapcode Global: WH7VF.49NJ
Plus Code: 9C7VR2W8+QM
Entry Name: No 12 Cottage, Crichton
Listing Name: Crichton Village, Cottages 10-14 (Inclusive Numbers)
Listing Date: 22 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331181
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB765
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson; 1885. Extended mid-20th century. Single storey, symmetrical range of six farm-worker's cottages with advanced gabled ends flanking central arch. Coursed sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central gable: pointed-arched pend, rubble voussoirs; hood mould; inset architraved date stone below gablehead; plain stone skews; slate roof; small stone stacks flanking at ridge; 4 cottages flanking archway: flush surround tripartite window to right flank of each doorway, bipartite to each left flank; 2 stone stacks to each row2 end cottages: entrance doorway on main block, window in re-entrant angles; gable ended, window with circular window above.
SW ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed extension to return of No 9; high rubble chimney stack, stone neck cope.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 cottages to flanks of arch: original elevation mostly obscured by single storey, flat-roofed extensions to central 4, further extensions to No 13 rear.
NE ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed extension to return of No.14; high rubble chimney stack, stone neck cope.
6-pane, slightly bowed bipartite and tripartite casement windows to front. Graded slate piended roof, with some modern Velux roof light to cottage's rear pitch. Chimneys: single can to short stack, triple can to high stack, paired plain cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson designed these properties. He was responsible for the design of the farmhouse at Crichton Mains, along the road, in 1885-7. These cottages were built to house workers from this estate. The farm cottages are grouped to either side of an arched thoroughfare, leading to drying greens at the back. Each cottage had its own small front garden, shared drive and the green to the rear and a small outhouse and toilet. Later alterations to each cottage added a small flat-roofed kitchen/bathroom extension to the rear or side, but now larger replacement additions have led to the rear elevation losing its original simplicity of form and line. Front elevation and gardens now surrounded by a hedge and low rubble wall.