This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7593 / 55°45'33"N
Longitude: -4.639 / 4°38'20"W
OS Eastings: 234504
OS Northings: 654930
OS Grid: NS345549
Mapcode National: GBR 39.B2H8
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.QH4N
Plus Code: 9C7QQ956+P9
Entry Name: South Lodge, Woodside
Listing Name: Woodside South Lodge
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331389
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB944
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Mid 19th century, sympathetically extended later 20th century. Single storey, asymmetrical gabled lodge with Gothic detailing; pointed arched openings; square-headed hoodmoulds to windows and gable bipartites, that to NE blocked; sawtooth skews. Enclosed entrance porch in re-entrant angle to NW with timber panelled door, window to return; canted quadripartite bay window to R with dummy slit window above. Extended to SE incorporating original sawtooth skews to gable, original single and bipartite windows to SW elevation. Rendered with ashlar margins.
INTERIOR: not seen (2003). No original features remaining.
Timber sash and case windows; timber casement windows. Grey slates; paired hexagonal ashlar ridge stacks (no cans).
Woodside, a historically and architecturally important estate, was the home of the Ralstoun family from 1551 until the late 18th century. During the 19th century the estate was owned by the Cochran-Patricks, a wealthy and well-connected Ayrshire family. Woodside House (separately listed) dates from 1551 but was remodelled in the mid 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. In the late 19th century Charles S S Johnston carried out extensive architectural works, giving a definite Baronial appearance.
Woodside South Lodge and North Lodge (separately listed) are most likely contemporary with each other and date from the mid 19th century. A period of expansion occurred at Woodside in 1848 when the house was extended to the rear for William Cochran-Patrick (1812-1858). West Woodside (formerly the stables, separately listed) is later, possibly circa 1860, after his great nephew Robert William Cochran-Patrick (1842-1897) inherited the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings