This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.765 / 55°45'54"N
Longitude: -4.6342 / 4°38'3"W
OS Eastings: 234827
OS Northings: 655553
OS Grid: NS348555
Mapcode National: GBR 39.9X5F
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SCD9
Plus Code: 9C7QQ988+28
Entry Name: Woodside Farm
Listing Name: Woodside Farm, Formerly Stables to Woodside House
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331390
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB945
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Mid 19th century. Symmetrical, U-plan stable block with Tudor details, converted to dwelling circa 1946; adjoining 2-bay cartshed at right angles to SW elevation forming near courtyard. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone to principal elevation, rubble to rear and sides; raised ashlar margins; sawtooth skews.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Central depressed archway with crenellated parapet breaking eaves (recess infilled with rubble and ashlar, with timber door and flanking windows), monogram in centre tablet (see Notes); flanking bays with 2 tall ground floor windows and small windows above; slightly advanced gabled bays to outer L and R with large window to ground, bipartite round-headed windows above; wallhead stack to each apex.
SW ELEVATION: 2-storey bay to outer R; 3-bay single storey range.
NE ELEVATION: large, modern timber conservatory to outer R of 1½ -storey 6-bay range; cast-iron vents below wallhead.
INNER COURTYARD: central arch now glazed; single windows to ground floors; 4 wallhead dormers; cast-iron vents below wallheads. Cartshed with 2 open depressed arches, lean-to stores at rear.
Lying-pane timber sash and case glazing, predominantly 6-pane upper and lower sashes. Grey slates. Ashlar square-section stacks.
INTERIOR: no surviving original features.
Woodside is one of the principal estates in Beith parish and the lands were in the ownership of the Ralstoun family since 1551. From the late 18th century and well into the 19th, the estate was owned by the illustrious Cochran-Patricks. William Cochran-Patrick extended Woodside House (separately listed) in 1848. His great nephew Robert William Cochran-Patrick inherited the estate from him in 1858 and it is likely that the stables were built shortly after this date (they are not marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1858). His initials 'RWCP' appear above the stable entrance. The lodges (separately listed) predate the stables and are marked on the 1st edition map.
The functional nature of the stables is expressed in the form: carriage arches and the open courtyard within for attending to horses, stabling on the ground floor and storage (including haylofts, hence the vents) and staff accommodation above. There are still some original iron tethering rings set into the wall of the courtyard. The stables were converted into one dwelling after World War II and were again sympathetically restored in the 1980s. Woodside estate was a mixture of woodland and farmed land. Pigs were kept before the war.
Other nearby listed buildings