This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4684 / 55°28'6"N
Longitude: -4.3321 / 4°19'55"W
OS Eastings: 252669
OS Northings: 621865
OS Grid: NS526218
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.XD9P
Mapcode Global: WH3QZ.FTB7
Plus Code: 9C7QFM99+85
Entry Name: A-Frame, former Barony Colliery, Auchinleck
Listing Name: Barony Colliery
Listing Date: 27 April 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331426
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB971
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Cumnock and New Cumnock
Traditional County: Ayrshire
First phase 1906-12, new shaft sunk and production flow reorganised in 1950's. A large colliery complex, with two shafts, one (No 3) for man and coal winding, the other upcast for emergency use. The listing encompasses more important elements surviving from both phases of construction.
OLD NO 1 AND NO 2 WINDING ENGINE HOUSES. Built 1906-12, and formerly housing steam winding engines, pair of single storey and basement red and yellow brick buildings, with round-headed openings. Side walls (6 bay) and tripartite gable elevations have red brick panels surrounded by yellow brick, arched heads of the windows and doors are also of yellow brick. Skews and skewputs of red sandstone. Roofs slated, with two ridge ventilators on each. On shaft side gables unusually extended to provide pedimented screen walls in front of roof extensions to accommodate winding ropes. Minor alterations to both buildings.
ELECTRICITY GENERATING STATION. Built 1906-12, single storey and basement red and yellow-brick building 3 by 4 bay, extended on long face by 4 bays both sections with hipped roofs. Architectural treatment is similar to that of winding engine houses, externally little altered.
WATER TREATMENT HOUSE, CHIMNEY AND BOILERS. Water treatment house, is in red brick 2-storey building 5 by 1 bay building, with replacement corrugated and perspex roof. Style comparable to other older buildings, use of yellow brick limited to window heads at the upper level. Two Lancashire boilers in brick setting, with late concrete buttresses, associated steam piping, later brick and concrete flue and a plain circular-section brick chimney stalk at the base remains of cast-iron economiser.
NO 3 HEADGEAR No 3 headgear four legged welded steel A frame structure with four pulley wheels.
Barony Colliery first large modern colliery in Ayrshire. After 1st shaft sunk for the Eglinton Iron Co in connection with the Lugar ironworks. In 1957 an electricity generating station was opened on adjoining site, to burn coal slurry from washing plant. Power station closed and demolished in 1983. Colliery closed in 1989. The coal washing and loading points, car hall, linked engine house and covered conveyors are excluded from the listing.
Other nearby listed buildings