This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0014 / 56°0'5"N
Longitude: -4.5964 / 4°35'47"W
OS Eastings: 238188
OS Northings: 681758
OS Grid: NS381817
Mapcode National: GBR 0K.TZ9R
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.CFH3
Plus Code: 9C8Q2C23+HC
Entry Name: Hamilton House, Luss Road, Balloch
Listing Name: Woodbank House with Garden Building
Listing Date: 17 July 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331611
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1125
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Lomond
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Circa 1775 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey over basement, 5-bay, rectangular-plan main block; with large 3-storey, 5-bay later 19th century addition at right angles to S. Stucco over rubble; raised ashlar margins; rusticated quoins; eaves cornice.
E ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed. pedimented bays at centre; broad stair to door at centre; wrought-iron handrails. 2-leaf, 4-panelled door with Gibbsian surround; pediment; modern light attached to keystone; flanking symmetrical bays; window at centre 1st floor above door with lugged surround and fluted keystone. Pediment supported on shallow console brackets; blind bulls-eye window at centre; urn finials. Barred windows at basement.
N ELEVATION: broad gable, windows at ground, 1st floor to outer left; barred window at centre basement; window slightly off-centre to right at 1st floor; small window off-centre to left at attic; broad apex stack. Later wing recessed to outer right, pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves at attic; 2- bay block recessed to outer right, chamfered corner; tripartite mini-gabled dormer.
S ELEVATION: later 19th century 2-storey, 5-bay block. Pedimented centre bay slightly advanced; full-height (ground to 2nd floor) canted window; 2nd floor window with segmental pediment; stone balustrade balcony. Flanking bays, eaves band cornice dividing ground, 1st floor from attic; pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves at attic storey.
W ELEVATION: eaves cornice string course at attic; armorial plaque at centre; coped wallhead stack at centre.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof to main house; lead flashings; grey slate piend and platform roof for later house; broad, coped wallhead stacks; 2-pane rooflights.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995. Original shutters.
GAZEBO: small octagonal timber gazebo. Chevron joinery; pagoda style roof; gablets breaking eaves to alternate facets. Door on S elevation, gablet over with trefoil louvred ventilation; broad window to left. Terracotta fishscale tiles; broad terracotta ridge tiles; terracotta finialled cap; gablets with finials.
INTERIOR: boarded seating along each side; chevron timber floor.
The land was settled on James Lindsay and his wife Sarah Brisbane Lindsay in 1670, and a house stood on the site at this time. The property was called Stuckrodger at this time. In 1774 Stuckrodger was acquired by Charles Scott of Dalquhurn, a Glasgow merchant and it appears that the house as it now appears dates from this time. The house name was changed to Woodbank. In 1885 William Ewing-Gilmour of Croftenga was the occupant of the house and it is likely that the later additions date from his occcpancy, the coat of arms on the W wall is the same as that on the Masonic Hall in Alexandria. The house bcame a hotel in the 1930s, and beame the Hamilton House Hotel in the 1980s. The house was featured in Scottish Civic Trust BUILDINGS AT RISK (1994). The former stables and garage buildings are in poor condition to the E.
Other nearby listed buildings